Is this a safe/accepted technique?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flintknapper

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct forum for the question. If not...hopefully a 'Mod' will move it.

I was looking at a Husqvarna catalog (2014) today and this picture caught my eye, because of a potentially dangerous looking technique.

dangersaw_zpsi6s1tzjs.jpg

I'm no Pro, so please do not lambaste me...if this is something that Pro's commonly do.

In the pic, the person felling the tree appears to be cutting a Humboldt in the base. All is good with that except the position of the person and the seemingly unorthodox grip on the saw?

Again, I am not a Pro...but I try to avoid cutting above the level of my chest (especially with a big saw). But of more concern to me...is the grip on the saw and relative position of the person in relation to the saw and chain.

I know the saw has a full wrap handle, but placing your hand that close to the chain seems unwise. The throttle lever looks to be manipulated by the thumb of the other hand...which creates a weak and awkward grip on the handle of the saw. Looks like the least bit of 'kick back' or 'pinch' would have you in serious trouble, quick?

No way the chain brake is going to save you, unless it is one of the newer style...activated by inertia. Even so, it seems to be inviting trouble to me.

What am I missing? Happy to be educated...if am way off base?

Thanks,

Flint.

I dont think he is actually cutting in that picture, maybe taking a look at something... alignment? I'd be hard pressed to believe they would endorse someone cutting MSWS style. Looks like he might be on the low side of the stump also...

Yup, that position is not ideal. Nor are a lot of positions you end up cutting from. Can someone explain to me how that would kick back to him though? The upper end of the chain is engaged and thus would kick into his cut and not towards him. Geeze, sack up and learn how to control a saw.:muscle::wtf:

Looks like he is cutting with the top of the bar - if the chain on top of the bar catches in the wood, the saw would kick back at him. I don't care how well someone can control a saw, the hand is too close to the chain - assuming the saw is running. Only takes one error and you lose or seriously injure a hand or arm. I don't believe the full wrap handle was intended to be held like that.

Yup, that position is not ideal. Nor are a lot of positions you end up cutting from. Can someone explain to me how that would kick back to him though? The upper end of the chain is engaged and thus would kick into his cut and not towards him. Geeze, sack up and learn how to control a saw.:muscle::wtf:
Unless it kicks straight out of the cut...

"Can someone explain to me how that would kick back to him though? The upper end of the chain is engaged and thus would kick into his cut and not towards him."

^^^^^^^^^^^

That is exactly right, the saw would NOT kick back toward him (in the traditional sense). I should have been more clear about that. The saw could easily 'kick' straight back out of that kind of cut however, IF the chain were pinched. I've had that happen to me...when running a big saw, I was still on the 'trigger' and got pinched suddenly. Chain gets pinched, big saw (with enough power still being applied) lets the bar shoot right back at you!

But...all of that aside, Marshy makes a good point. It is entirely possible the guy is just double checking his alignment. IF he 'gunned' off the handle, what better way to check the face cut than to reinsert the saw and look down the handle. I really hadn't thought of that. Could explain what we are looking at.

Flint.

There is saw dust coming out, so I am taking that picture to represent a cut in action. It is a bad way to hold the saw in my opinion.

It is certainly an inertia chain break...they all are.

I don't think kickback is the big concern there...even in the rare circumstance where the saw kicks straight back with no "up" force (even a little would jam it into the tree), he is out of the way. But maybe his left arm would be pulled into the (stopped by the break) chain. Could hurt pretty bad, but not cutting an arm off.

Even if it is not the most dangerous thing (certainly not the safest) or even if he just checking angles, I think it is poor form for Husqvarna to put that in their catalog.

Why wouldn't the saw just be flipped over cutting from the same side if he can't cut from the other side?

I would think if the top kicked it would send the whole thing out the bottom and flip into his arm, ribs, maybe run down the side of his body or just shoot out and clock him in the jaw with the handle. Whatever, it doesn't look like a good way to cut, the chain could get tossed and wack him

I would think if the top kicked it would send the whole thing out the bottom and flip into his arm, ribs, maybe run down the side of his body or just shoot out and clock him in the jaw with the handle.

No, because of the direction of rotation of the chain, the 'danger' area (for causing kick back) is the top quarter of the tip of the bar, which would result in the bar 'jumping' toward the cut... in this case. BUT, there is another type of 'kick back' that can occur (and I have experienced). When you bore, plunge cut or just get the chain 'pinched', that type of 'kick back' propels the saw straight back toward you. I am pretty sure he is not behind the saw (except for his hand).

Anytime you are cutting from the top of the bar, the saw is pushing back toward you. I actually LIKE that most of the time, but when using a large powerful saw, IF the chain gets pinched (stopped abruptly) the sproket/rim continues to 'climb' the chain, sending the saw right back at you.

In the situation depicted above, the risk is low for that type of 'kick back' to happen IMO. The reason being...his cut is nearly complete, it isn't so deep that wind would/could sway the tree toward the face cut and pinch the saw. The wedge (particularly a Humboldt) should just drop out (if cut properly). So provided he is NOT still heavily on the throttle at that point (and a Pro won't be), any weight from the wedge falling out shouldn't present him a problem.

Still, it looks to be an awkward position if any real 'cutting' is being done. I am now inclined to think that 'Marshy' may have identified the situation, I.E. (checking his alignment). He might have re-entered the cut with a slow moving chain (often easier than a dead chain). That might account for what looks like 'saw dust' being discharged. The very 'fine' dust is an indication itself that an 'aggressive' cut is not being made (or we would see larger chips), either that or the chain is very dull. :(

Anyway, it just looked kind of strange to me, so I thought I'd ask. Always trying to learn something.

Flint.

Him cutting on that side of the tree may not be an issue depending on the tree. If the tree is on a steep slope, or growing through boulders, this may be the only place he could stand. Having said that, I think he should have had the saw flipped over, considering he had a full wrap.

I can see him playing to match his cuts so the wedge will fall out.

On more possibility:
Did somebody think this shows the saw better (or different than the rest of the pages)? This is a marketing publication, not a safety or instructional. (even at that, they should be showing best practices...)

I have a habit of uncurling and wiggling my fingers to avoid a cramp in my hand. (Plus a healed broken finger that gets stiff) I'm scared for the digits. In rain, a slip could cause a nasty mangle.

That's a gem. I watched a PR video our local power company put out explaining why trees are pruned or removed. In that video the contractor they chose to film showed perfect examples of how to 1 hand a chain saw of any size. Something the local saftey board, is very much against.

Latest posts

Back