Trying to rehabilitate a fallen tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John3400

Reaction score
IMG_1255.JPG The tree is in my back yard. It was planted about 45 years ago on an angle. I suppose the previous owner was going for a windswept look. It was ok until a couple of months ago when we had a lot of rain and the wet soil plus overhung weight which had been building all this time caused it to fall with the trunk lying flat on the ground and a large % of the roots broken or uprooted. It appears that most of the roots are still in the ground and it has new leaves, so it appears to still be alive.
I would like to try and save it. Today, I jacked it up to about 15 or so degrees above horizontal (see attached picture) and have temporary supports, jack stands, holding it up. I'm considering getting an old railroad tie and making a cradle to hold the trunk off the ground.
I will appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on what I might do to try and maintain the trees health.
John

Sometimes these respond well to heat treatment. Try cutting it up into 18" lengths, then splitting those into quarters. You then put those into a wood stove and voila.......
Now Jon its looks like a willow of some kind, that won't burn worth a dam! Looks like an easy one to get on the ground though! Might need to put a dutch in it to get it to lay flat.

Well...it is what it is. You're never going to get it back to what it was and you may never get rid of those jacks but....if it isn't threatening anything...just let it go and see what happens. If it's a willow, it has a better chance of staying alive. I've seen willows that fell completely to the ground and then grew straight up from the fallen trunk.

If its a willow then cut it flush at the ground and within a year you will have a 1" diameter trunk growing vertical lol.

Drill into the underside so you can put in a big screw attached to a post. Much less invasive.

I've left many root plate heaved or storm felled trees similar like this in parks or open space. If stable secure a soft fall mulch garden landscape can be designed around and they make great play feature for billy lids - kids to climb and play upon. Perhaps not ideal in home garden but it can be left - saved propping with a log or alike to support & tailor a garden about its surface root area..

Or remove it replant the area if the unusual is not your thing.

If ya like the looks of it you can save it. Show a pic at distance and maybe more will agree it looks cool. With a mulch bed, edging and a couple plants,.. might look great.
You need to do a search for "tree support systems" and "propping." I learned about it in theory but have never installed and maintained one.
Props must be solid, stable, and rot resistant. Sunken 4x4 posts on concrete perhaps? Cut down steel jack posts set in concrete? Needs to hold tree from slipping off in heavy wind but not inhibit growth. Movement rubbing off bark would be bad. A thinning to lighten the load and lessen wind sail would be good idea.
FOR HEAVENS SAKE, DO NOT CREATE A RICKETY DEADFALL TRAP FOR VISITING CHILDREN!!!
As with any tree support method, you'll need to consistently inspect it and maintain it.
Call in a local arborist if need be but I bet ya can handle it with some homework.

Back