Backhoe with grapple?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimberMcPherson

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was wondering why backhoes dont seem to be fitted with grapples very often if at all for treework. is there slewing to limited to make them worthwhile? Excavators are used a heck of alot world wide, why not backhoes? With the 4 way bucket front end loader and self drive capacity to get to jobs, there must be a great reason why you dont see them implemented in treework.

U have to set the outriggers up , turn the seat around and get used to the unique controls to use the arm on the back.
Small loader will lift more and are more manoeuvreable better visability and simpeler , have u used one ? It could just be me but i reckon there the most difficult thing to operate ive used.
Im curious but what have u got in mind?
And are you ready for the world cup final ?

we seldom work flat coutry, but often in rural and lightly forested areas and would like to get more work around park land etc.(as well as the odd city job where the trees are easily accesable) I was looking at fitting a farmi log crane and grapple to the back of a little skidder I have, but I dont think that is going to work due to the winch placement and weight issues.
My wifes been trying to get me to buy an excavator (yeah not many guys would complain about that) but I have a mate with 3 of them that I can often borrow but its working in with his time frames and they arent easy to transport. Where the backhoe can be driven to the job and can load trailers, sort slash, and move stuff around that a loader cant.
So I thought maybe a backhoe might work, but when I search around I dont see any fitted with grapples and wonder if Im missing something major.

Part of it is also that im trying to build a place of my own, the the backhoe would also help in making the over 400 yards of steep driveway up to the top of a ridgeline.

The backhoe i have will pull strong for digging ,but id i try to lift a heavy stump it runs out of power in the hydro's ,so they dig good ,but lift not so good ,a thumb fitted to one would move lighter stuff ,if i try to skid logs with it ,it lifts the front end up also ,so you can not steer

Latest posts

Back