new to the site and the business.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dichrixon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
don't mind my spelling and punctuation I'm on my phone...

Hey guys. As the title states.... I'm green green green when it comes to tree work. I am a long time auto mechanic who finally had enough and grew the balls to jump ship before I was too old and it was too late.

I came on board to a small but rapidly growing tree outfit. (Less than 3 years and already have a 60 ton grove crane, 2 buckets 2 log trucks 3 chippers, three chip trucks, an asv, a bobcat, two loaders, 3 pick ups and 10 guys.)

Not bragging just trying to give you some insight into what I'm up against.

They hired me on for hauling snow in the winter, and then offered me a full time position. I have been given my entry level orders : buy and read "the tree climbers companion", get my osha 10 certification, and get ready for the busy season.

The company runs 372xp saws for everything except pruning. Climbing, fire wood, ground work, etc . I have only been on 3 jobs so far (weather permitted). So far, my big take away is- wow these guys are in good shape. It took me 8 minutes and 5 breaks to delimb a 20 ft section of spruce. I couldn't hold the saw safely anymore my arms were so tired.

How long can I expect it to take to get in decent working shape? I am plenty strong but lack the endurance to run the saw for long periods.

Any recommendations or words of advice for a newbie?

I am excited about my new career and all the aspects involved from rigging, operating, saw work, climbing Etc. I just don't want to succumb to my fear that I am too out of shape/old go get into this. 30 years old.

Thanks guys.

As far as getting in shape, it happens over time. Most new climbers din't fully trust their gear and are too tense. You have to learn how to relax and conserve energy in the tree. Economy of motion.

Thanks !

As far as getting in shape, it happens over time. Most new climbers din't fully trust their gear and are too tense. You have to learn how to relax and conserve energy in the tree. Economy of motion.

I'm not climbing yet but definately good advice I will take with me moving forward!

30 is not too old. Get plenty of sleep and lay off the booze, cocaine, PCP, heroin, weed, ecstasy, Oxy's and fast food. You need to develop your cardio. Hang in there and don't complain about ordinary tasks.

I have just now started the arborist part but I found that letting the saw do the work and using nice even smooth motions keeps your fore arms from burning out. I also use a forearm support to keep the old elbows from complaining. The 372 is an excellent ground saw but overkill for anything over 15" imho. We use a 261 or 241 for 95% of short work. And I would never lug that 372 into the tree unless it would be safer then climbing higher to get the 241 into a sweet spot. Just my 2 cents.

As far as work goes, just keep at it, you'll build into it. Learn how to rake quickly and efficiently. A 372 IMHO is too big for most ground jobs, but who am I? When I'm using a big saw (with my spaghetti arms), I tend to let it hang and use my legs to raise and lower.

My big concern would be the company. A 3 year old company with that much equipment has an owner that either came into the biz with a lot of cash or is riding a huge pile of debt. If he is riding a lot of debt (and I think you are in a very competitive area) things can go bad (ie cashflow) really quick. Keep you eyes open on what is happening and don't be afraid to jump ship if paycheques start bouncing.

Keep you eyes open on what is happening and don't be afraid to jump ship if paycheques start bouncing.

I would be lying if I said I have never thought this.

The Crane was one of the first pieces
of equipment that they bought. I think it has a lot do do with our rapid growth.

Thanks!

I've yet to meet a tree man that didn't abuse 2 or 3 of them. You might run into a owner who just bids, hires and fires but he's not a tree man.

I've yet to meet a tree man that didn't abuse 2 or 3 of them. You might run into a owner who just bids, hires and fires but he's not a tree man.
Since we instituted pre employment drug screening, the quality of newbie groundies has risen considerably. Our ability to hire experienced help seems to have gone down.

Latest posts

Back