Help with wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oak. You can clearly see the ray flecks in the picture of the split surface. Probably black oak based on the bark.
I'm going to say black oak as well. That's a awful lot of borer gallery activity. Certainly not the typical s shape that you wood see from eab. Ath, are you familiar with a borer that wood affect a black oak like in the pictures? Looks like it could have led to the trees demise.

See... that's what great about these threads, no one knows and I don't know. I do not think that looks like eab disease, I see that same bug trailing in a lot of my trees from ash to maple to oak. I admit we have no black oak here, so I wouldn't know to compare to. I will still stick with my "assumption...." it is ash or hickory. Leaning on Pignut Hickory more than anything....was there any nuts on the ground? Pictures on the internet are so subjective... we can only assume or make assumptions, but I personally would not know unless I was familiar with your habitat, saw and held the wood in my hands.

There were no nuts on the ground. Anything above 6 foot was covered in ivy.

ATH thanks for that info. I had no idea.

Latest posts

Back