Stump has me stumped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first thought is that you are giving way too much credit to assume that was done with much purpose. Trees all tend to lean a similar direction, looking at your second photo, I would guess it was leaning over the shorter "peak", to the left. So the taller "peak" was left as a wedging post? Maybe I'm all wet, but I'm seeing boring marks in the stump in the first photo, and it's really hard to figure out what they did and why.

OK, I assumed that was all solid, didn't think that it was re-assembled. I know nothing of GOL, I had never seen it (or even heard of it) until this website. Even still, can't see why you would pop the trigger at an angle like that. The face and hinge makes more sense, now.

Looks like the taller piece was placed there for your pic. The stump shows GOL technique used exactly how it is taught.

If that face was replaced it was done 5 yrs ago when this was logged, I'm the only guy who ever goes in this woods. I did notice the kerf in this side and just thought it was a Dutchman but I will see if it is loose next down I get down there. I don't think there is a top in that direction either but I'll take a look and see if I missed something. Biggest part of these stumps don't have any hingewood either so apparently they were chasing the cut most of them time

If that face was replaced it was done 5 yrs ago when this was logged, I'm the only guy who ever goes in this woods. I did notice the kerf in this side and just thought it was a Dutchman but I will see if it is loose next down I get down there. I don't think there is a top in that direction either but I'll take a look and see if I missed something. Biggest part of these stumps don't have any hingewood either so apparently they were chasing the cut most of them time

Any chance that face was put back in to swing the tree back to the right during the fall?

They bored it from both sides with a short bar. The taller piece is loose and the face(notch in this case). Maybe it had the stump mark on it and they had to put it back. Cutting the trigger at an angle leaves the flair on the stump. Not unusual stump for around here. I could cut three of em in the amount of time it took him to whittle this one. If the hinge was missing anywhere it was a mistake although most of it looks to be intact.

Looks like we're trying to leave the waste wood on the stump so they didn't have to trim it off once it got drove to China in the mud.

They bored it from both sides with a short bar. The taller piece is loose and the face(notch in this case). Maybe it had the stump mark on it and they had to put it back. Cutting the trigger at an angle leaves the flair on the stump. Not unusual stump for around here. I could cut three of em in the amount of time it took him to whittle this one. If the hinge was missing anywhere it was a mistake although most of it looks to be intact.

Appears like that entire job was cut with 16" bars (Pilz MS-170's?), tore up more trees than they took out. Property belongs to my ex ma-in_law and had been logged 4 times since '79, asked me the other day if it could be cut again! Won't listen to anybody she knows and then some gypsy outfit waves a check at her and she jumps on it.

i thought it was a crown cut at first.....nfg.......maybe it was a gol if that chunk is loose. her woods is tore up cuz them guys didn't care or think about ever having another harvest........again, nfg.

looks like beech is going to take over if y'all not carefull....maybe plan on a low grade selection if enough log sized beech there.

i thought it was a crown cut at first.....nfg.......maybe it was a gol if that chunk is loose. her woods is tore up cuz them guys didn't care or think about ever having another harvest........again, nfg.

looks like beech is going to take over if y'all not carefull....maybe plan on a low grade selection if enough log sized beech there.

Actually sassafras and briars are taking over along with poplar and scale is killing the poplar. That particular section is way down in the bottom, hemlock , beech and white oak ( past tense) I would say she is under 30% canopy and the remaining good trees are now sprouting limbs down low which will probably make them #3 logs at best. Her step son and I have given up trying to explain anything to her, her last 3 sales she did not even know how many trees she sold, just gross $.

scale? where you are, is poplar aspen or tulip?
30% is pretty sparse.

Tulip poplar. ~25% of that property borders a creek and it appears like there has always been a 100' SMZ off limits on the cuts so there are some 36" poplar in the bottoms that are dying along with the smaller ones. Friend in the nursery biz says scale is epidemic here right now. Place was logged (top ended) in '79, 90, 2000 and 2008 I believe. Could not hardly stand to go down there for 2 yrs after the last cut it was so bad and it gets worse with every storm. Fine collection of crooked and damaged trees , 70' tall sassafras and assorted other junk trees. Hoping to start a swamp chestnut oak planting in the bottoms next yr, maybe my grandson will see them make acorns

hmm, i deal with alot of tulip here. idk about scale but normaly unless its been thinned a couple times, most of the tulip in a stand will be close in age. in other words the smaller ones will be about as old as the big ones. at 36" they are near the end of there value and will go down hill. solid stands of poplar should be cut pretty hard unless its been managed right. it will regenerate itself pretty well if it get plenty of light. also disturbing the ground alot helps. i know, this goes against most hardwood conventional wisdom but remember tulip is not an oak.
we normaly get a 50' buffer, but can take all tulip trees inside the buffer that can be felled away from the waterway.

sounds like a good idea on the chestnut oak plantings, however if it can drain and there are any tulip around, they will reseed if the light can get to the ground.

:numberone:
Thank you. I must have learned something over the years reading this forum, because I understood every wood of that explanation.

So since he cut to keep the flare on the stump( maybe) then would he not have to clean up the butt? If so then it was pointless and he could have left a step for saftey and not flat with holding wood.
Why such an exaggerated undercut? the opening is huge, way over a one to one ratio, 1-1 would be something you would do on a Swanson or Pie/birds mouth.
1/2 to 1 would give you a 3" opening at 45°with a 6" depth. This guys just under 70° I'd bet. But yet he's about cutting in the duff. Not making a lot of sense to me?

*EDIT CHANGE
Meant degrees but originally wrote percent.

Any chance that face was put back in to swing the tree back to the right during the fall?
Lol...who's teaching you that stuff.
Definitely not recognized practices.
Booting trees, 'floating Dutchman' no never heard of it..lol
No, not a chance, it would have to be a smaller piece on one side. Wouldn't work with that overly steep angle either.
Very very bad...don't try this at home.

Back