Buck. Master saddle - near failure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Call me old school but that is why I use d ring saddles! I will say, though it looked pretty frayed; I bet a bit more than 3 threads held your sorry butt aloft" lol your words bro"

How are your d rings attached to your saddle?

Technically, I guess it was more like 6ish since they were double stitched... Either way not a good feeling...
Well it is sewn also but its wrapped at dee then sewn on flat and the way it pulls to me is different! I first used a 2 dee saddle and i mean the cheapest stuff the big o could buy never seen any of them fail not sure if my experience is the same as others though! I suppose the climbers before my day trust the bowline on the bight more than my new fangled saddle to them! I started with manila rope lol and I once tried the bowline on the bight as a saddle and those guys musta been cut from steel :cheers:

For a part time climber that saddle looks pretty chewed up! Did you buy it used or is it 10 years old? The buckle on the waist belt and leg straps are rusty from what I can see in the pictures. The grommets on the waist belt are turning green too! Inspecting before use is important but so is gear storage! When not in use keep it dry and out of the sun. If its sweaty or it got wet from rain, hang it to dry. Thanks for the heads up. You are luck you caught that when you did! I would be retiring that if it was mine. Like everything else, they don't last forever.

Well it is sewn also but its wrapped at dee then sewn on flat and the way it pulls to me is different! I first used a 2 dee saddle and i mean the cheapest stuff the big o could buy never seen any of them fail not sure if my experience is the same as others though! I suppose the climbers before my day trust the bowline on the bight more than my new fangled saddle to them! I started with manila rope lol and I once tried the bowline on the bight as a saddle and those guys musta been cut from steel :cheers:

Manila?? Dang you're old. This is the kind of experience I like to hear. I remember seeing footage of Royal Robbins lead climbing something in Yosemite on a bowline on a bite with manila - blew my mind... The saying,"there are plenty of old climbers and there are plenty of bold climbers, but there aren't many old,bold climbers", comes to mind.

I have a buck. Pinnacle that has the 2 ds. I do prefer the single quick attach point, but the redundancy of the 2 connections is feeling a bit more reassuring right now.

Thanks for your input. Be safe.

For a part time climber that saddle looks pretty chewed up! Did you buy it used or is it 10 years old? The buckle on the waist belt and leg straps are rusty from what I can see in the pictures. The grommets on the waist belt are turning green too! Inspecting before use is important but so is gear storage! When not in use keep it dry and out of the sun. If its sweaty or it got wet from rain, hang it to dry. Thanks for the heads up. You are luck you caught that when you did! I would be retiring that if it was mine. Like everything else, they don't last forever.

I'm the only owner of this saddle. The serial # indicates a born on date of '07. I was climbing full time until the last few years. It is in the sun only when in use but I admit it's gone in the box 'damp' a few times. Good eye. I'm thinking the salt-sweat exposure, pretty humid in this area, may have expedited failure due to the proximity of this connection point to the body. Perhaps a good rinsing now and then wouldn't hurt.

I can understand how it's easy to get complacent and feel as if you dont need to check it as thoroughly since you own it but in the end its a consumable and it wears. Maybe theres something to be said about the build quality in that area compred to the other anchors so its good that you pointed it out.

No I dont know what your bounce test is. With fall protection you dont load it to test their integrity, hence why we incpect them before putting it on.

For the record - I apologize, Marshy, for coming off as a d-bag to you. I realize you had no malintent. Perhaps some lingering adrenaline from a disturbing experience. For what it's worth, I mean no disrespect.

For the record - I apologize, Marshy, for coming off as a d-bag to you. I realize you had no malintent. Perhaps some lingering adrenaline from a disturbing experience. For what it's worth, I mean no disrespect.
Now that was written like a man! It happens once in a while when your amped up, but takes the right stuff to admit it.

Thanks for the words. I have thick skin and didnt take it to heart. Sometimes when you know its your fault and acknowledge it its still hard to hear from someone else. Just glad it didnt end badly for you. Please time 15 minutes once a week and look over your harness. Hell, there's probably guys on your crew (or maybe even you) that waist more time than that daily taking a smoke break or what have you so why not take that amount of time to inspect a piece of equipment that you trust your livelyhood with.

Back