New Arborist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaugeB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all my name is Gauge, I am new to Arborist work but not to climbing or rigging. I have rigged and done suspension work for a long time and being up high isn't anything new to me. I have also been involved in clearing of storm damage trees and know solid basic felling techniques. I am currently using the drt with a split tail with a blakes hitch. I use a small cord tied in a prusik to a micro pulley for auto tending and I like this method and it seems solid. I have 2 questions, 1 is it frowned upon to use steel biners instead of aluminum for your climbing line or any lifeline attachment point? I am a heavier climber at 220lbs (I am athletic 34 waste) and would just like good ole steel. And is this biner a good choice? http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=234&item=1780#detail The other climber with years of arb work says DMM is the best. And my second question, is the tree motion a good saddle for the bigger climber?

Steel biners are fine as long as they are rated for life support. Can't comment on the tree motion as I haven't used one and I'm 165# lightweight.
Just make sure you're climbing biner is different than any rigging biners you carry so there is no confusion

Also no experience w/treemotion, so no opinion there.

As far as steel 'biners? Sure. Why the hell not? Seems to me aluminum is popular for its strenght to weight ratio. Maybe the anodizing, too. Who knows?

Steel is just weighty, and clunky. But on the other hand, its more resistant to friction wear. So its a trade off. I like the idea of seperating rigging for life support. Try marking the life support ones with red electrical tape, or nail polish. Keeping in mind, red meaning "Stop". Or something... Whatever.

Awesome choice getting into arboriculture. Youll love it.

Thanks a bunch, I am still learning and will always be. I am also looking at the Buckingham Rebellion and New Tribe saddles now too.

New tribes onyx saddle is the cats ass!
Very very best with the rigging plates. Try clipping your lanyard into them instead of your side Ds. Your lower back will thank you. I fly a petzl sequoia lately, and its been the best ive found. But i like things light. Id rather have gear hauled up, than haul gear up. Feel me?

Good luck muchacho.

Hey all I forgot to mention i am working for Steve AKA Fishercat. I am green on the arborist route but he is a great teacher and my experience with rigging and being crane dropped in has helped alot. He tells me all the time "You gotta trust that rope" LOL he's right i rely too much on my lanyard at the moment but it feels better every time I go up.

Back