Milling pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See, I didn't know...now I do. Simply flipping the timber.

Scott (what if you want all wide slabs) B

2015-02-21 14.03.21.jpg 2015-02-21 14.03.33.jpg 2015-02-21 15.59.08.jpg Nice bookcase bro. Wish i had the skills to do something like that. Trying not to throw too much away, wont show you the f/w pile though. Found the couple of slabs i was looking for on the bottom of the log.

I'm extra interested in that wood splitter with the winch there, steve easy.... is it mounted to a trailer?

Nice stacks hope they don't stay dead-stacked for too long!

Yeah all mounted to trailer, works good for my needs. Dead stacking is that what's it called, only 20 Mac slabs left some had a little staining, most were OK. I'll be sure to fillet the next batch.

Steve what chain type model do you use on milling chainsaw ? Nice stuff , thx for pics.

Can you tell me a bit about your leveling setup, please? What I think I see is that you're, what, running a string line maybe to set those (nails? lag bolts maybe?) and then setting that black board contraption on top in order to guide the mill. Do I have that right? It's clever, I'll grant you. I guess the lag bolts or whatever they are are OK at handling the load? How do you keep everything from sliding around?

Sorry for all the questions, this just looks potentially easier than some of the setups I have used and would like to know more if you'll share your secrets.

Of course, bobl is going to come along and say something like <Aussie accent I imagine bobl talks in>"oh yeah, that's a standard blinkimee such and such, standard procedure really."</Aussie accent I imagine bobl talks in> and then I'll feel like an idiot, as usual.

That is some ridiculously beautiful wood and ridiculously beautiful NZ in the background. South island, I guess?

Can you tell me a bit about your leveling setup, please? What I think I see is that you're, what, running a string line maybe to set those (nails? lag bolts maybe?) and then setting that black board contraption on top in order to guide the mill. Do I have that right? It's clever, I'll grant you. I guess the lag bolts or whatever they are are OK at handling the load? How do you keep everything from sliding around?

Sorry for all the questions, this just looks potentially easier than some of the setups I have used and would like to know more if you'll share your secrets.

Of course, bobl is going to come along and say something like <Aussie accent I imagine bobl talks in>"oh yeah, that's a standard blinkimee such and such, standard procedure really."</Aussie accent I imagine bobl talks in> and then I'll feel like an idiot, as usual.

That is some ridiculously beautiful wood and ridiculously beautiful NZ in the background. South island, I guess?

Its W.Malloffs idea, out of chainsaw lumbermaking.
Yep level some end boards and run a string line, sight across and level lag bolts. Black board is a bit of ply with angle glued on to act as a guide for lag bolts, Just gotta remember that length of bolts cant be any longer than end boards or you will end up cutting through them. All stays together good if you use plenty of lag bolts, mill to the bolts and slide the board forward, makes any length beam/slab possible if you have the right log.
Bobl's a clever guy, i put him up there with Malloff. (space saved on bookshelf next to c/s lumbermaking for when you write us a book Bobl)
The old geeza's round here call macrocarpa "king country kauri". Lots of it around. We are in the central north island, if the low cloud wasnt there you could see ruapehu covered in snow.

Back