chipper death

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been running a brand new BC1000XL for a couple months. I'm not saying that a child could use it safely, but the knee bar and hand bar are extremely sensitive. Plenty of times a small branch will tag it and hault it, or Ill brush the bar with my leg feeding stuff in and it will stop it and set of the flashy light to say its stopped feeding. When that happens you have to reach around and tap the all good button on the side.

Its 100x safter than the chuck and ducks. But that being said still a very dangerous bit of machinery. My thoughts to the family's.

ta the feed back Sbrince77 and shanks, we got a BC 1200 in the end and its safety systems are good much or just the same as Bc 1000 the knee feed bar works well and can be adjusted to suit needs as we have a winch on our model.. tapping that button a small hassle compared to,,,,, well lets not think bout it

ah hint to avoid a bruise, don't be at the control panel when your work mate closes the chippa tray

tapping that button a small hassle compared to,,,,, well lets not think bout it

Too bad Peter Gerstenberger, Tom Dunlap, Mark Chisholm, or even the bloody Brits value treeworker lives enough to regulate a friggin dragster chipper!

You make a mistake amigo, adios!

But when climber's bump their precious little heads?

Call the Natnl guard, get the governor on the phone! Was a second qualified worker at hand?

Men of principle?

Who wants their sons n daughters chipped alive in the arborist industry?

jomoco

Too bad Peter Gerstenberger, Tom Dunlap, Mark Chisholm, or even the bloody Brits value treeworker lives enough to regulate a friggin dragster chipper!

You make a mistake amigo, adios!

But when climber's bump their precious little heads?

Call the Natnl guard, get the governor on the phone!

Men of principle?

Who wants their sons n daughters chipped alive in the arborist industry?

jomoco
God Forbid anyone take personal responsibility for their actions: oh wait, you don't believe in him either.

Yeah, like operating a 120 ton crane on the job solo right?

Size, capacity and horsepower of equipment is no gauge of how many workers are needed to operate it safely?

Tell me more einstein?

jomoco

Sure they'll admit that hand feeding a BC2000 hydraulically fed whole tree chipper's not a good idea!

But to actually heed the advice and recommendations of the OSHA and FACE officers who have to cleanup after these WTC fatalities, and establish a two man minimum rule for safe operation of chippers over a ten inch capacity?

Nope! Let the chipping alive of treeworker's recruited that morning in the Walmart parking lot for forty bucks a day continue!

Such care for treeworker's lives, it kinda chokes me up, makes me wanna puke.

jomoco

Yeah, like operating a 120 ton crane on the job solo right?

Size, capacity and horsepower of equipment is no gauge of how many workers are needed to operate it safely?

Tell me more einstein?

jomoco
Left turn clide.

Who would allow someone to operate any crane solo?

The boss should gauge what's needed for a job; that's part of the job of a white hat.

Not to mention it's illegal to operate a crane without a flagger, rigger, and someone operating the tag lines on some jobs.

Way to derail a serious topic.

Perfectly legal in all states as long as the crane's under a 75 ton capacity!

Gettin my drift yet einstein?

jomoco
Notice I said some, but not typically in our world.
Besides, it's just a good or safe practice.

And that shouldn't be mandated, it should be encouraged and enforced, by the company representatives: you know, self responsibility.
Not what the government was intended for.

Edit:
must you be so condescending?

You seem intelligent enough, sometimes, but when you turn that on, everyone else turns you off: don't matter if you were actually going to say something worth listening to.

Notice I said some, but not typically in our world.
Besides, it's just a good or safe practice.

And that shouldn't be mandated, it should be encouraged and enforced, by the company representatives: you know, self responsibility.
Not what the government was intended for.

BS my friend, it's exactly what OSHA was created to prevent, unnecessary death on the job because it saved the employer the cost of having a second qualified worker present.

Kinda like friggin climbers who bump their heads, according to TCIA, ISA etc.

Climbers are special, groundies, not so much!

Buncha jerks...

jomoco

BS my friend, it's exactly what OSHA was created to prevent, unnecessary death on the job because it saved the employer the cost of having a second qualified worker present.

Kinda like friggin climbers who bump their heads, according to TCIA, ISA etc.

Climbers are special, groundies, not so much!

Buncha jerks...

jomoco
No One on the job is more important than the other: maybe we look at stuff differently, but it's not BS: it's getting your people to care enough about what they are doing and care about the guy or gal beside them enough to stop them if they are about to mess up.

Sure there are those that don't care, or don't listen, but if that attitude isn't tolerated , then those will either adjust or leave.

No job is worth just 1 man not getting to go home, and the cost of insurance and accidents are finally driving that logic home.

Tell it to Peter, Tom n Mark friend, 60 treeworkers eaten alive n counting...

jomoco
You can't tell anything to them or their families: and that's a Chitty situation to be in on both ends of the phone.

I agree, safety is very important.

But, OSHA or ANSI, or any other alphabet agency don't mean a mountain of dung unless the people on the ground, on the job, buy into the mentality of doing it as safe as possible, and doing the job right the first time.

And Every fine in the world isn't going to change that.

Time will tell.

In an extremely unflattering and embarrassing sense for some folks.

Unfortunately.

jomoco

Tell it to Peter, Tom n Mark
sorry jomoco not getting it? why these guys that you are repeating the names of in association with chipper safety ?
it's not that I disagree with your logic about size of equipment and staffing policies, personally don't reason with why someone would need a 20 inch chipper to do street pruning work total overkill when a 9 inch would be more than adequate for the task.
anyways one death a year is not acceptable let alone 60 but what have those three blokes got going that links them to chipper safety?

It's like this, Peter's the grand poohbah of safety at TCIA, and he's the bloke who says that while feeding a whole tree chipper that's got 300 hp, like the Deere powered Hurricane 2400, is not a good idea in terms of operator safety?

He doesn't feel that the danger posed to life n limb of the chipper operator warrants a two man minimum for operating chipper's of that capacity, 24 inch!

And what's more? Tom, Mark n even Steve across the pond, toe Peter's line subserviently enough to lock down my threads on this very subject.

That's the extent of their valuation of Groundie's who feed big chippers.

jomoco

Fed a 24" vermeer before, that thing was frickin nasty, a couple had already been smashed by it or throw in the air, the idiot supervisor sent us out on small removals and street tree pruning one day and I felt lucky to get home. The company's standard practice was using 18" winch chippers on street tree pruning, at a proper arb company now and away from that bunch of charlies

I've been running a brand new BC1000XL for a couple months. I'm not saying that a child could use it safely, but the knee bar and hand bar are extremely sensitive. Plenty of times a small branch will tag it and hault it, or Ill brush the bar with my leg feeding stuff in and it will stop it and set of the flashy light to say its stopped feeding. When that happens you have to reach around and tap the all good button on the side.

Its 100x safter than the chuck and ducks. But that being said still a very dangerous bit of machinery. My thoughts to the family's.
Not one, I repeat not one fatal accident I ever found using a chuck n duck. I think you need to investigate your 100x statement more careful. Btw I think a whoopazz chipper chuck n duck for the northern crowd is more efficient for brush than any chipper other than a tub grinder etc. Reason no waiting in line period, five men can feed them all day; never standing to wait on rollers to feed through. Also most durable chippers ever made less moving parts to wear out!

Back