Big Chipper: Unique Application

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carnivorous

Reaction score
This is a strange inquiry for this forum but I’ve been reading and researching everywhere and think this is the place to ask.

I run a large carnivore rescue/rehab facility. Lions, wolves, tigers, bears and other big carnivores go through A LOT of meat. A large portion of their diet is road-killed deer and elk that get hauled to me. I then put them in a walk-in freezer, and quarter them out with a chainsaw to feed the critters. The predators need everything; bones, hide, meat, guts, etc., for the vitamins and minerals. So they’re fed the whole thing, guts, feathers and all.

Therein lies the problem, whole animals in a walk-in freezer waste a lot of airspace, and those freezers are very expensive to run.

After much discussion with staff, there’s a consensus that we could save money if we could “process” the animals into containers. This would reduce the wasted airspace in each freezer (about 40% currently) to more like 10-15%.

So, here’s the idea: (stop reading if you have a weak stomach)

We freeze the road kill whole in the freezer so it’s rock hard, then remove, run through a large wood chipper or recycler, modify the discharge chute (if necessary) to throw the contents into a dump trailer (which we have) so the “chippings” can then be shoveled into 30 gallon garbage cans (the biggest size that 2 men can comfortably handle when filled with animal offal). The filled garbage cans then go back in the freezer until they’re needed.

Stacking those filled garbage cans like cordwood (which we currently do with butcher scraps) is a very efficient utilization of space in the freezer, maximizing cost effectiveness of the freezer.

From those who have a lot of experience with big wood chippers/recyclers, do you think we’ve schemed up a viable option or will this application not work for some reason?

I’ve searched several manufacturers’ wood chippers and recyclers, and looked on MachineryTrader. I don’t know what I need? And was hoping the members of this forum could provide me with some guidance.

My concern is that the biggest intake on many big chippers I see is usually 12”. How much struggle and hassle will feeding a road-kill sized animal into that be? If at all? While we could chainsaw the whole frozen carcasses into smaller pieces, then put those in the chipper, I was hoping to avoid that step if possible because of the additional labor and hassle associated with doing that.

I know this application isn’t standard for wood chippers or recyclers, but I think there’s more than enough experience here to give me some guidance.

Since the walk-in freezers are very expensive to run, and changing them from their current 60% filled (wasted airspace) to 90%+ capacity (garbage cans stacked neatly wall-to-wall) will decrease their monthly operating expense, I would be willing to spend ~$10,000 or so for the right unit (used model I’m assuming) due to the long-term savings it will provide. If I need to pay more to fulfill my requirements, please let me know what make/model I should look at.

So, review of my basic requirements:
- Be able to reduce a road-kill sized deer/elk into smallish pieces (a uniform “mulch” is not a requirement)
- Be able to modify the chute for easy disassembly so it can be power-washed after each use during the warm months
- Ease of maintenance (parts availability, etc)

Sorry for the long first post. Hopefully there are some here who can provide some guidance. Thank you.

Sounds like you need a tub grinder, but 10k isn't touching one. Expect 50-70k for a small used unit.

Not sure how it could be cleaned out either?

I think looking into commercial meat processors type stuff would be the correct avenue.

I'v worked on/ran Morbark disk chippers up to 30". One will do the job. I bet new there 500k tho.

Just as a note, we looked into the large size commercial meat processing grinders/flakers at first. The two outstanding issues were them not be set up to handle bones without a lot of break-downs/maintenance (sure they can do it, but they're not built for it which means lots of maintenance). Secondly, a large part of the cost was tied up in processing everything down to "ground beef" standards.. which is overkill since we just need it shredded enough to go in a garbage can.

I would think it would be cheaper in the long run to build a bigger walk in, super duper beyond normal standards insulate it, plus use an more efficient freezer unit.

Big mechanical do dads break down, then you are looking to ongoing big expense, parts and possibly hiring expensive shop labor to fix it, without the income necessary to justify it.

Man, you got big critters! I always wanted a big cat. Closest I came was living down the street from gunther williams before...I watched him work his cats a bunch.

Bones would be no issue for a 12" chipper. Good sharp knives and a well adjusted anvil and it's should present no problem IMO. I don't think too u need to worry with chipping into a trailer and shoveling. Just fashion a flexible duct and chip right into the garbage can.
You would need to run some benign material through the machine after the meat... wood, cardboard, etc. To clean the meat out of the system.

I think bones are considerably harder than any wood. What you are proposing would be hard on any machine but you can adjust for that by using a large machine and cutting you material down to smaller pieces. So use an 18" chipper but don't feed it anything larger than 12". Problem is you're not going to get a good 18" chipper for $10k.
Why not just buy a large meat cutting band saw and cut the animals up into more manageable sizes and stuff the parts into plastic totes that you would then stack in the freezer? You could do that fresh or frozen.
Seems like feeding chunks of meat to your cats would be healthier than feeding them ground meat.

The above machine is a slow speed high torque shredder. This technology has been around for a while now. Morbark makes a machine called the Predator and it will eat washers, dryers, and refrigerators. Another company is SSI, as they also make slow speed high torque shredders as well. These machines aren't inexpensive. They're used in the recycling industry to reduce the size of anything. They're a neat machine.

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

The above machine is a slow speed high torque shredder. This technology has been around for a while now. Morbark makes a machine called the Predator and it will eat washers, dryers, and refrigerators. Another company is SSI, as they also make slow speed high torque shredders as well. These machines aren't inexpensive. They're used in the recycling industry to reduce the size of anything. They're a neat machine.

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400
They are completely badass, to be sure! Do want one!

Bones are quite a bit tougher than wood.
We get chains to sharpen from folks that cut up their moose, caribou, etc and most of the time they aren't even worth the time to sharpen.
It breaks off the teeth and the remaining teeth make a really rocked out chain look not too bad.

Sunbelt rentals has a "hog crusher" that runs off a bobcat. Brick, block, stone or asphalt can be fed into the crusher as large as 14" n gets smashed into 2" pieces. There's one on eBay closing tonight in 54 minutes. Item #161682936291. Its called hog crusher skid steer recycler. It weighs 1700#.

maybe get a regular log splitter have a welder make a flat disk plate on the end a sharp finer screen on the other side some side plates so stuff can't roll out and has to go thru then stop cutting them with a chainsaw and get a stihl rock boss or a concrete circular saw to chop em into chunks b a lot less than 10k. And then let someone video tape put online so I can see it on the national news.

Latest posts

Back