Forestry mulching service/rental needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMF

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have been approved for some money through my state's NRCS program to get rid of some invasive species. The plan calls for some type of mechanical removal with a Fecon-type mower followed up with a chemical treatment. My forester can do the chemical treatment but we are at a loss for finding someone with this type of equipment. The job size is rather small, just under 6 acres to be mowed and treated, but the area is somewhat wet. We both agree that a tracked unit, skid-steer type machine with a forestry mower would be perfect. So I am looking for two scenarios:
1. Renting such a unit
2. Hiring the job out
I have no issues in running the equipment myself, I run farm equipment all the time.
I am in central Massachusetts, in Warren. Any leads or info would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Rich

Spencer work?

Check with Ahearn Equipment. I know you can rent a Kubota SVL75 or SVL90 tracked machine. As to attachments you would have to discuss with them what's available. They do have attachments I personally just don't know what they have. You may catch a break as well as Ahearn has a satellite rental office on Rte.20 in Palmer just east of downtown headed towards Sturbridge.

Another place to contact is Schmitt Equipment in Oxford. They rent all types of equipment to contractors, mostly bigger stuff but worth a call.

Take Care

I just found that Ahearns does rent this stuff; I always thought they just sold and serviced equipment. They have the SVL90 and a Loftness mulching head. The two questions I have is that those two items require:
1. A hoisting license (I am exempt because I have a farm, but I'm not sure if they'll honor that for a rental)
2. A commercial insurance policy. Again, not sure if my farm stuff would cover that or if my carrier can issue a binder for the few days I rent it.

I'll check Schmitt as well. Thanks!

Why would you need a hoisting license to run a skid steer?

Because I live in Nazi-chussetts and we have dumb laws here that are designed to generate tons of revenue for Boston from the people in the central and western part of the state who the laws actually impact but don't count because we're not in Boston. It's very clear....
From Mass.gov site FAQ's:
3. Q: Who must have a hoisting operator's license?
A: M.G.L. c. 146 § 53 states that anyone who will operate derricks, cableways, machinery used for discharging Cargoes, and temporary elevator cars used on excavation work or used for hoisting building material, when the motive power to operate such machinery is mechanical and other than steam, including but not limited to excavators, backhoes, front end loaders, uniloaders, skid loader, skid steer loaders, compact loaders or similar devices, lattice cranes, derricks, cranes with or without wire rope; all Fork Lifts, powered industrial lift trucks, overhead hoists (underhung), overhead cranes, underhung cranes, monorail cranes, lifting devices, cableways, and powered platforms, must hold a license from the Department
12. Q: Do I need a license to operate Hoisting Machinery on my own property?
A: Yes. Provided that a Short-Term Rental Entity has an approved program, the Hoisting Machinery regulations allow individuals renting Compact Hoisting Machinery to obtain a Temporary Permit from the Short-Term Rental Entity for a fourteen (14) consecutive day rental period upon completion of the Short-Term Rental Entity’s training program. See 520 CMR 6.03.

13. Q: How do I obtain a Hoisting License if I am renting equipment from a Short-Term Rental Entity?
A: Provided the Short-Term Rental Entity has an approved program, homeowners may rent Compact Hoisting Machinery from a Short-Term Rental Entity for a period of time not to exceed fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Short-Term Rental Entity must provide training for each type of equipment rented, and renters must be trained in the "proper and safe operation" of the equipment. After the training, the Short-Term Rental Entity must issue a Temporary Permit to operate the rented equipment. See 520 CMR 6.03.
14. Q: Do I need a Hoisting License to operate Hoisting Machinery exclusively for agricultural purposes?
A: No. M.G.L. c. 146, § 53 provides an exemption for Hoisting Machinery used exclusively for agricultural purposes.

Back