A summary of saws built using Farmertec parts...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Basically this is a review and comparison of a bunch of 372 based builds with a couple of "Built from Aftermarket Parts" Saws mixed in. (One Husqvarna based and one Stihl based) Wanted a video showing the relative performance as a time stamp to start the year. SO I put a pile of hobby saws on the trailer and went out into the woods and made a bunch of timed test cuts on the same log to see how each of those saws compared to one another. They varied from stock based builds to aftermarket parts based saws... You might be surprised on which two saws boiled up to the top....

Wow this is awesome, I have been following you on youtube for a while before i joined this site. Now i get to read the story about some of these saws ive already seen. weimedog your awesome keep up the good work. I honestly thought about buying the parts and putting one of the ebay 660 clones together after watching your vid for the first time. Oh and love your sig sometimes I feel like a big sledge hammer...lol

Calling them "Huskavarna" got me laughing.
We joke around the shop calling them that or "Huskavanna".

The 660 sounded way pig rich, was that just the audio from your camera?

Calling them "Huskavarna" got me laughing.
We joke around the shop calling them that or "Huskavanna".

The 660 sounded way pig rich, was that just the audio from your camera?

Not many pick up on that :) That goes back to the 1970's and motorcycle days, that's when I was a Maico type and they were the competition, then KTM (Hoosky's were no competition at that point :) ), and finally those red bikes that owned racing for so long, but never a Husky guy until the vintage thing happened...still add an "A", always will even though they are simply KTM's with a different plastic / graphics now :). And yes the 660 was a bit rich. Always start rich on something as unknown as that saw was at that point; until I get a few tanks through it. It's all AM and I didn't trust the carburation. I do now. (Those cuts were literally on the first tank of fuel) Have time on that saw now and runs as something in its displacement class should. Its not rich now and picked up about a (relative) second in the cut and a lot of throttle response & will stomp all those other saws on bigger wood. It's going to be worked like crazy for a month or three on a job by a much younger man than I.. then we will see how it is next spring.

If I was a betting man.... you like your Stihl's. :) You encounter one of these saws set up right and its going to confuse the hell out of you. :) It's going to get a 56mm top end & a boost in compression next winter...

Wow this is awesome, I have been following you on youtube for a while before i joined this site. Now i get to read the story about some of these saws ive already seen. weimedog your awesome keep up the good work. I honestly thought about buying the parts and putting one of the ebay 660 clones together after watching your vid for the first time. Oh and love your sig sometimes I feel like a big sledge hammer...lol

Thank you.

I own a bunch of Stihl saws, but we have many different brands around the shop that I use.

I built a 61 this winter for a gift and it ran so nice I wanted to keep it!

No I didn't know about using a different top end till after the fact. I used a Farm Tec cylinder and piston. Did a bit of port and transfer cleanup and it was sitting at about 200 psi before it even broke in.

I don't have pics of that saw, I'm not one to take pics often... sucks in a way. I spent 12 years in the Air Force and I don't have a SINGLE pic to show aside from my basic training one.

No I didn't know about using a different top end till after the fact. I used a Farm Tec cylinder and piston. Did a bit of port and transfer cleanup and it was sitting at about 200 psi before it even broke in.

I don't have pics of that saw, I'm not one to take pics often... sucks in a way. I spent 12 years in the Air Force and I don't have a SINGLE pic to show aside from my basic training one.

My oldest son was in for a long time .. he's in transition now.

Latest posts

Back