Petzl Zigzag

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean80

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm sure this topic has been talked about, but I would like some input as to whether the zigzag is worth the $275 or not. I climb drt with a hitch climber pulley and vt. I'm very interested in the zigzag for its ability to self tend with the weight of the rope and the ability to descend quickly without roasting my hitch cord. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

I like the ZZ enough that I own two of them.
With 11.7 mm rope they work very nice.

The first generation ZZ was recalled. The second generation has also shown to have problems and I do not know if a recall has begun, but more info can be found HERE. Now the 2015 third generation is available and I no longer have any confidence in that device.

I've heard that motorized vehicles occasionally get themselves recalled over incidents with potentially serious outcomes. Have completely lost any confidence in auto manufacturers.
Also, I'm unaware of any vehicle manufacturer that offers a 10 year replacement warranty on their product like Petzl offers on the ZZ.

Google "Petzl zigzag warranty"
The excerpt is from this July 2014 notice.

http://www.drayer.de/fileadmin/user...os/2014-07-23_EN_Petzl_Information_ZIGZAG.pdf

Perhaps their newest variants only come with a 3 yr. warranty, but I'm pretty sure if one of my 2nd generation treasures develops a crack it'll get replaced up to the ten year date of sale anniversary.

"a cracked link presents no additional immediate risk to the user, only cracked devices will be replaced.
• The replacement of a cracked device will be carried out under warranty. The warranty for this defect has been extended to 10 years.
• Regularly inspect your device in accordance with the Petzl PPE checking procedure.
• In the unlikely event you find a cracked link, retire your device immediately and contact the Petzl distributor in your country.

The Petzl Team."

Perhaps their newest variants only come with a 3 yr. warranty, but I'm pretty sure if one of my 2nd generation treasures develops a crack it'll get replaced up to the ten year date of sale anniversary.

Thanks. Not meaning to go OT, but you seem to be the only climber I have communicated with who uses a ZigZag. Do you mind me asking if you use a hand ascender with it? If so, single or double hand? Do you use any other kit with it, please?

Haven't tried a hand ascender with it yet. (due to inertia or pure laziness ;))
What I like is a short Dyneema sling connecting the ZZ to my bridge. Puts the top of the ZZ just within hand reach, and you just keep pulling the line below the ZZ. Etrier or daisy chain thingy would do the same thing, with more adjustability, I guess.
At least 90% of climbing I do is removals on spurs though, and the trees up here aren't near as monstrous as your eucs.

image.jpg

Puts the top of the ZZ just within hand reach, and you just keep pulling the line below the ZZ.
Thanks a lot. I measured it up and reckon a 24 inch sling should do the trick. I'm a bit light on equipment so I ordered a Petzl sling to try out my new climbing rig.

It's interesting the bagging the zigzag cops here considering the reputation of some of the climbers who use them.

Yup. The ZZ either gets loved or despised. There is a fine line between love and hate.
Mebbe there might be better options than the ZZ, (and btw, to those who are ZZphobic, I kinda doubt you've read of recent serious incident involving the RR???).
At age 54 I think the ZZ will prolong my career. (or kill me, lol)
The reviews posted on TreeStuff are helpful.

Cheers,
Dave

Yeah, I'm mid 40's and I've done some hard yards in this job, so I can imagine how you feel. I'm getting into climbing technology for the same reason you're there.

I'm on treestuff too, and I noticed the different attitudes to tech there. I guess that's where I'll go to learn, then. There, and Youtube.

Update: the 24 inch sling is just a little too long. It's true about being able to pull the rope from under it, so it works a lot like a hand ascender, though I try to do most of my climbing with my legs. I'm going to try to get an ~18 inch sling now if I can. It's a little scary relying on a 6mm wide sling, so I won't be dragging it over branches.

Edit: I'm just trying my old prussik to raise the zigzag to head height, now. I'm glad it's useful for something other than friction :)

For a little extra, I feel like the unicender is well worth it! Please come back at me with your guys's thoughts, but it seems like the midline attachment and all is a very appreciable feature, and gets roughly the same job done as the zigzag (?)

Hey BuckBuck, I truly concur, the Uni is a great tool for the arsenal! I'm liking the way you're thinking!!! I've been using a rope wrench, a Bulldog Bone, the Uni, and now I'm trying to become proficient with a Rope Runner. The the forest Gods for SRT Climbing.

Dave6390 in WI

I do use the zigzag for my positioned, still looking for a D22A Zigzag for a 12mm rope. The one i have only works on ropes 11mm or less. I found a new one for $239. New. Looking for a used one for less than $125-$140, does that seem realistic?

Dave6390 in WI

I've climbed on a ZZ for a few years now. I'm on my second. My first one was a Gen 2, and it cracked. Petzl replaced it with a Gen 3, for free, and it has served me quite well. I've recently made the leap to SRT for most of my climbing, but when I decide to do a quick DDRT climb, I go right back to the ZZ. Once I'm 7 or 8 feet off of the ground, it self tends my 11.7mm XTC 24, and there's virtually no setback. I've used it with a hand ascender plenty of times with the only issue being my bridge was too long to really get a good pull. You can extend the system out farther with a sling as shown above, or with an adjustable bridge system (I use a Petzl Adjust, but there's other options)

One of my guys runs a half inch line through the ZZ. It's a real pain to get the rope through the links, but it can be done should you really want to go that way. I wouldn't suggest it.

Back