Need help getting Skyworker bucket controls working

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremy3s

Reaction score
I'm trying to get the bucket controls working on the Skyworker I just bought. I believe it is the low pressure system. Not really familiar with how they work. I just replaced the lines in the upper boom and power bled the system and the controls aren't working right. I read that these systems are supposed to have some sort of hand pump to pressurize the system. Mine doesn't have one of those and wondering if it's missing and that is why it's not working.

Can someone tell me if I'm missing something? I included a picture of the current setup.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 16
Maybe you and I are the only ones left with the SkyWorker. I been gone from the forum for a while and just getting back to making a decision on my rig.

I am a gross amateur on this stuff, but am into lotsa mechanical things and got a good price on my rig several years ago so could not pass it up.

If your system is the same as mine, the upper low-pressure controls drive the lower hi-pressure controls.

Search the forum for skyworker; there are several threads regarding bleeding the upper controls. I do not have my upper controls working and have not tried bleeding the system with my pressure bleeder yet; as I said I am at a decision point to keep or dispose of the rig: 1973 Ford F600(?), SkyWorker 1045 (only problem is some rust on the hydraulic ram for upper boom and upper controls inop), 330 engine with pto in truck and working pony engine ... and, oh yeah I blew out a front wheel brake cylinder so probably whole brake system needs to be redone (kinda critical as I live on top of a small hill in north San Diego county).

Maybe someone can doctor up your picture (and the lower controls if needed) with some arrows to show how to hook up the pressure bleeder.

Rod

I had read the previous posts and bled the system that way. No luck with that. The previous owner said he installed new seals in the controls in the bucket. I verified those were good. The seals in the slave cylinder need to be replaced though. They are way too small either from shrinkage or they are the wrong size.

I just ordered a set today so hopefully those fix the problem.

hello.
I am new to the forum so I hope its ok to comment on this old thread. I cant figure out how to start a new one. I have a 1976 model bucket truck with a skyworker boom. I have been bleeding my bucket controls for a couple days now and finally got them to work. the low pressure ones. The problem I'm having now is it seems to hold pressure on the controls. when u pull a lever it keeps wanting to go after you let off and is kind of hard like its retains to much pressure or something. does anyone know what would cause this. Thanks

Back