If You Chew Snoose Will It Make You a Logger?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of our equipment now has sealed cabs. You can't open any windows or the door while operating. This pretty much prevents anybody from smoking in the equipment. Most of the guys chew though, and manage to not make a huge mess. I think the kind of care a person takes of the interior of the cab is usually a fairly accurate indicator of how they treat the rest of the machine.

I would probably go nuts in a sealed cab... gotta have some air...

Since around 2000 or so, OSHA has mandated that all of our cabs to be pressurized and air conditioned. This is to keep dust out.
Historically, rock dust has been found to be linked to Silicosis. I like the pressurized cabs and AC, helps to keep me from blowing all those big buggers out at the end of the day

How can a chaser get yelled at from a sealed cab? How can a forester:drinkingcoffee: yell at the operator? Is this the end of "landing" voices? I'm sure somebody can figure out how to wire around the Door Must Be Closed system so communications are not affected adversely. Otherwise, you might as well be working in a cubicle.

How can a chaser get yelled at from a sealed cab? How can a forester:drinkingcoffee: yell at the operator? Is this the end of "landing" voices? I'm sure somebody can figure out how to wire around the Door Must Be Closed system so communications are not affected adversely. Otherwise, you might as well be working in a cubicle.

Good point. Whenever we'd get a new piece of equipment...especially a shovel...the doors would be the first thing to come off. They'd be stored someplace safe in the shop and they might be put back on in the winter.
It's too hard for the shovel operator to clean the sunflower seeds out of the cab with the door on.

Edit...it's also easier for the driver to hear the loader when the driver has forgotten to flip his mousetrap or pull his bunk pins...again...and the loader has to get the driver's attention before the broken metal starts to fly.

I've yelled loud enough that our drivers can hear me with the window rolled up...

That or they stopped when they saw the color of my face. I have kept more than one car from being crunched. One of the best reasons to wear a plastic hard hat. They won't leave a mark on the paint if you throw them. It kills my shoulder, though.

One of the best reasons to wear a plastic hard hat. They won't leave a mark on the paint if you throw them. It kills my shoulder, though.

Not so. You have to throw them harder to leave a mark but they will leave a mark. They'll also break marker lights and exposed wiring. Try throwing side-arm. It's lots easier on the shoulder.
Or so I've heard anyway. :rolleyes:

Throwing can be a problem. I was told by feller buncher and processor operators, Just throw a stick in front of the machine. We'll see the stick going across sideways and know to look around. Well, some of us can't throw worth a hoot. Maybe an atl atl or a flare gun contraption might work. Maybe a paintball gun or something. I do believe I could sail a hard hat but then it might get smashed "accidently" and I'd be unsafe.

The most memorable moment of "What the Hell do I do now?" was marking trees up to the landing, I'd talked to all the guys on the landing, let them know I was working below, they were setting up the yarder. About 200 feet below, on my way marking a strip up the hill, root wads and cull chunks start being thrown over the edge. I hunkered behind the biggest tree I was near--this is second growth so that's not a lot, and tried to figure out what to do. There was a lull in stuff coming over the edge, so I skedaddled and got away, then got up to the landing and made a super stink eye, and in a nasty voice, let the shovel operator know what he'd been doing. Bad...bad... bad and I wish I'd had the E-collar on the guy. Such is life...

weirdly enough, you can hear holler very clearly in my processor cab. even normal conversational volume if the engine is idled. But I'm still young enough to be able to hear. All the other guys are about stone deaf from too many years of figuring it was better without hearing protection.

We are lucky and have a great crew. Maybe once a year does anyone yell in anger. Everybody works safe and productive every work day. Equipment is generally very well taken care of. Everyone can and does work on their equipment, whether its a 1000 dollar saw or 600000 dollar processor. Complaining is minimal. Everyone gets along with the truckers, who are also top notch. Give you the shirt off of their back type of guys all of them.

I rarely yell in anger, mostly it's to be louder than the noise. I usually bottle up my anger, and let it eat me up from inside.
Find a back leaner... and some wedges... but not enough wedges... and too small of an axe, wait that was today, I took a vid... its not flattering...

I would probably go nuts in a sealed cab... gotta have some air...

Heck I wouldn't mind a door on the skidder I run and a heater that doesn't blow antifreeze vapor all over! (One of these days it needs to get back to the shop so I can fix it. The door got modificated at some point and someone tore it off when the tire chains hooked it.

Heck I wouldn't mind a door on the skidder I run and a heater that doesn't blow antifreeze vapor all over! (One of these days it needs to get back to the shop so I can fix it. The door got modificated at some point and someone tore it off when the tire chains hooked it.
you need to bypass that heater, them fumes can put you out on the side lines.

Yeah, I normally don't use the heat for that reason.

Not a big deal, I'm used to being outside in the cold so no heat doesn't matter.

Latest posts

Back