Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put up about 3/4 cord of maple with a little oak and birch mixed in. This all came from a tops pile from a logging operation about 18 months ago. This stuff is already popcorn fart dry, 16% for the pieces touching the ground and the top stuff much less.

I barely put a dent in the pile and there are 3 piles out there. In the words of Arnold, "I'll be back".

image.jpg

I'm now into my 11th tank of fuel on the 550. Next time it gets to try out full chisel :D

This was at the shop next door to me , good replacement for the van ???
Might carry a bit more wood .

IMG_20150504_161822.jpg

H-ranch. Did you mis-speak there? Wouldn't the hay loader be pulled in front of the wagon? Is yours complete and functional, or is it yard art?
I've never used one and mine is completely yard art now. Here is what it might have looked like - I'm not sure if this is an old advertisement or where it came. This even had the quote on it about pushing the hay forward on the wagon.

I'm risking of talking WAY outside my area of expertise now, but this one even looks similar to mine.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

All right then, it does go behind the wagon. I've never seen one used; it was before my time, but probably not by many years. I've seen them and knew what it was in your photo. We always had a wagon behind the baler and loaded directly onto the hayrack. No picking bales up off the ground.

Hey guys, I still buzz in once in a while and see how yall are doing. I put the kids to bed last night and noticed there was some light left outside so I grabbed the Fiskars and headed to the wood pile. Started splitting and soon it was dusk. Looked up and could see the moon rising. Once the moon got up it was like daylight. I kept on splitting until I ran out of rounds. By then it was 11 PM. It was so nice out! Anyone ever split in the moon light? I plan doing it again tonight and think it's going to be a full moon and even better, makes ya feel like an animal. If you've never tried it I highly suggest it. All the black flies settle down and there's not mosquitos. Temps were in the low 50's. :rock:

I used to when I lived in Maine, not a whole lotta daylight in the winter, so you don't have much choice. I even cut some on bright nights and drug it in from the woods. Yep, you get used to it, especially bright moon and snow on the ground, stays pretty light.

When I split here I like late evenings as well, but no need to split after dark any more.

Cut a Silver Maple down in my back lot this afternoon, the bottom was rotten, so I rolled up my fence and took it down before it did some damage. Just about the right diameter for the 24" bar on 044 #2, which did the felling & bucking. The 362 did the smaller stuff. Man did it go fast through that Silver Maple, night & day difference between that and Hard Maple. If all the wood I cut were as soft as that Silver Maple, I would not need a powerhead any bigger than the 362.

Enjoy the pics, will be splitting it tomorrow.

Attachments

• SilverMaple-5-4-15 002.jpg
    SilverMaple-5-4-15 002.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 42
  • SilverMaple-5-4-15 001.jpg
    SilverMaple-5-4-15 001.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 45
  • SilverMaple-5-4-15 003.jpg
    SilverMaple-5-4-15 003.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 38
There is a very large Silver Maple on the property diagonally behind me, near the corner of the property. The base is huge, and there are about 8 legs coming out of it, each as big as this tree. The one over hanging my property is dying, and the guy said I can cut it any time I want, but I hate chainsawing off the ground, and there is not other way to do it.

One of my grandpa's was like that but it forked 5 ways about 2' off the ground. They took that down with a bucket truck as part of it was over the garage. The other one was a more traditional silver with huge main trunk splitting into two about 12' up.

There is a very large Silver Maple on the property diagonally behind me, near the corner of the property. The base is huge, and there are about 8 legs coming out of it, each as big as this tree. The one over hanging my property is dying, and the guy said I can cut it any time I want, but I hate chainsawing off the ground, and there is not other way to do it.
At least when you get trees that fork like that all the forks are leaning in a predictable way to cut. If nothing is in the way it shouldn't be too bad. Unless you ment the cuts would have to be made higher up then just standing on the ground.

Hauled the wood out with my ATV and "tunnel rat" trailer, works great in narrow paths. The splitter continues to impress me, a lot of those pieces would have given the Fiskars a hard time! I like that vertical feature on the splitter so much, it scares me that I almost got one w/o it!

Also took a pic of that big Silver Maple on my neighbor's property, with the dead top overhanging my property! Sorry it is so overgrown near it, tough to see how big the base really is.

Attachments

• SilverMaple-5-5-15 001.jpg
    SilverMaple-5-5-15 001.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 66
  • SilverMaple-5-5-15 005.jpg
    SilverMaple-5-5-15 005.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 64
  • SilverMaple-5-5-15 002.jpg
    SilverMaple-5-5-15 002.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 67
  • SilverMaple-5-5-15 003.jpg
    SilverMaple-5-5-15 003.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 52
I've never used one and mine is completely yard art now. Here is what it might have looked like - I'm not sure if this is an old advertisement or where it came. This even had the quote on it about pushing the hay forward on the wagon.

I'm risking of talking WAY outside my area of expertise now, but this one even looks similar to mine.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

I rode a wagon with one of those behind when I was a kid. My cousin lived on that farm and would climb the barrier on the front of the wagon like it was a ladder before he picked up the reins. That way he didn't need to keep moving as the wagon filled up. My brother and I were put in charge of keeping the hay evenly distributed on the wagon using some hay forks as it got deeper and deeper. When my cousin sitting 6 to 8 feet up was surrounded by hay half way up his back and having a hard time moving he would decide we had a full load and stop the loader. Then it was drive up to the hay mow where a huge fork would unload the wagon in about 4 or 5 lifts using another horse to drive that fork then a bit of hand cleanup and back out to load up new windrows in the field. We would move literally many tons of hay in a day that way. As a city boy I never got to do the fun stuff like driving the team or running that fork in the hay mow. My uncle and his helpers would redistribute the hay in the mow while we were out getting the next load.

Back