Tell us about your weather

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's how it works. California has a drought, so they're special. Their governor gets lots of attention. As California goes so must we. Now our governor is warning of drought, even though all the reservoirs are full and we wetsiders got a normal amount of rain. Probably some Californians moved here and missed having a drought.

<snip> As California goes so must we. Now our governor is warning of drought, even though all the reservoirs are full and we wetsiders got a normal amount of rain.<snip>
Well, not really. Departure from Normal Map.

anomimage.pl

Drought Monitor
20150428_west_none.png

I recently read something about the western drought... can't remember where though :confused:

Anyway... according to the author... the drought ain't "abnormal", the last 150 years or so have been the real anomaly.
(shrug)
I find that a little tough to believe, looking at the way the plants that are native to the area are stressed by the current drought. I doubt you would get the large Western Red Cedars, the large alders and Big Leaf Maple like we have around here with this regime. On the west side of the Cascades, we haven't really been in a long term drought. Just California. Now it looks like we are heading toward an El Nino winter, so there may be drought relief for them in sight over the winter. Too late for this summer, though. El Nino has a much more significant effect over the winter, and tends to move our Pacific storm track south. So, MY prediction for this winter in California, landslides galore, enough rain to see improvement in lake levels, but still below average snowpack. Remember, you saw it here first...

I enjoy it this time of year, cool nights, a fire of little splits in the morning to take the chill off. Running the sprinkler on the garden today, looks like a soaking rain Tuesday, possible lightning and thunder. We got starts out, had hail that beat everything to rat$### a couple of days later. Glad we don't get the big stuff, this was only about 1/2" diameter.

I find that a little tough to believe, looking at the way the plants that are native to the area are stressed by the current drought.
Hey, I'm only passin' on what I've read.
But ya' can't discount that the flora you're speakin' of has had a century and a half to acclimate to the anomaly... right??

Check yer sources mang.

its wet out here and has been for some time. Take a trip off the beaten path and s not difficult to find trees in the 12' diameter range.

Self loader jockey was telling me he loaded a 6'4" maple on friday 27' long.

There are trees in some parks around here you could have a family reunion on the stumps and not feel uncomfortably close to aunt mildred.

The flora he is "speakin'" of has had more than a century and a half.
Check yer sources mang.

its wet out here and has been for some time. Take a trip off the beaten path and s not difficult to find trees in the 12' diameter range.

Self loader jockey was telling me he loaded a 6'4" maple on friday 27' long.

There are trees in some parks around here you could have a family reunion on the stumps and not feel uncomfortably close to aunt mildred.

Not to mention have dancing on some of the stumps. Every once in a while a new dance floor is made when one of the punkins has to come down in a campground near here.
Also there's the redwoods where Randy and Gologit live. Those have been around for a little bit.

We have a cheery sight down the road. Folks have bought 10 and 20 acre scotch broom patches and instead of dozing it up even more, have been dealing with the weeds and planting cedar and Doug-fir back before building their houses. My friends have even planted alder because their soil needed help and they figured that was cheaper than dealing with fertilizer on their DF. Their DF seedlings were a little on the yellowish side.

Hey, I'm only passin' on what I've read.
But ya' can't discount that the flora you're speakin' of has had a century and a half to acclimate to the anomaly... right??
Right. I wasn't disagreeing with you, but the author of your source. I suspect species as a whole, don't so much acclimate as much as the entire habitat would change. Only my opinion, but I did relatively well in a variety of subjects throughout school. Could have done really well had I chosen to work at it.

We have a cheery sight down the road. Folks have bought 10 and 20 acre scotch broom patches and instead of dozing it up even more, have been dealing with the weeds and planting cedar and Doug-fir back before building their houses. My friends have even planted alder because their soil needed help and they figured that was cheaper than dealing with fertilizer on their DF. Their DF seedlings were a little on the yellowish side.
I hate that stuff almost as much as knapweed. It's taken me 4 years to eradicate it on my place, the two places to the south of me are covered. I was out looking at my orchard trees the other day, their fields are bright yellow. If I wasn't so far behind on my own projects I'd call them and offer to go slash it. I should call them and volunteer the 18 year old...

I wasn't disagreeing with you, but the author of your source.
Found it... but it mostly refers to California.

“The past 150 years have been wetter than the past 2,000 years,” Ingram said. “And this is when our water development, population growth and agricultural industry were established.
...the current drought appears to be well within normal fluctuations in the state's climate, according to research by Ingram and other paleoclimatologists.”

http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=13274

Had a delivery to do for the Scouts today. We picked up the boxes in Santa Clara and ran the AC till Big Sur at 12:30. By 4pm it was foggy and 46 degrees and I had the heater on. Got home at 7pm. Oh and we ate at In-n-Out for lunch.

Beatiful day today here. Hit 62*. Hope it's not a hot summer... 2 years ago we had a stretch in July that was in the 80s. Wasn't too fun!

Back