Timber stand impovment or sport tree felling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have 20 hours in helping a friend complete their Forestry plan. Last Summer they had a Forestry mulcher grind all the small stuff, now a Forester has marked all trees that must be cut and stumps treated. IMHO, the woods look terrible before and much worse after but I am here to cut trees and do about 100 a day.

So a more accurate term is "Sport tree felling".

Safety is paramount and a person needs to know when to say NO, this is a case:

wkpx1e.jpg

Same tree, different angle

rkvclk.jpg

After:

33oscqg.jpg

294rz2p.jpg

Before:

2li7sew.jpg

2nr29t5.jpg

After:

aykraw.jpg

2q1wju8.jpg

The wedge is 6".

2h89v9h.jpg

That's a good sized iron wood.We call it hard ack up here in NNY.A hard,dense wood,a shame to mulch that.

I hope that all this land clearing does not have a negative effect on your golf game.

Stay safe with all those tangles.

And why are the stumps ground up? Is the area being converted to farm land?

I didn't say the stumps were being ground up, they are being treated so as to not regrow.

The woods have zero value right now. The predominant species are box elder, honeysuckle brush and Ironwood.

The goal is to establish an oak savanna which is very predominant around here.

I hope that all this land clearing does not have a negative effect on your golf game.

Stay safe with all those tangles.

When asked at the course what my handicap is, my standard answer is "my swing".

My partner and I did win $1565 in a Calcutta tourney Saturday though. :innocent:

I don't believe in gambling but really like to wager.:numberone:

agreed. Darn good firewood right ther....
Never seen one that big in my nape of the woods, neck of the wape, up here

The landowner has an OWB and will be taking the good stuff. He has a skid steer with a grapple on it to make things easier.

Most of the Ironwood seemed to be in the 6-12" range.

FWIW, I have never seen sap run out of anything like the Ironwood when cut.

We could draw a parallel between
Falling and gambling.
"know your limit...stay within it"
Or fallers and gunslingers
There are two types...
Fast ones and dead ones.

Yeah, I'd have to agree on that.

No way was I going to deal with the tree in the first two pics. Would you? It's balanced real well, the widowmaker is twice the size of the tree supporting it and it's real brittle.

yes It was also regarding that post and you exercising your right ro refuse unsafe work or as they say now; " its an obligation to refuse unsafe work. Wait a control YOUR environment, good for you, Fantastic leadership on and off the field. I'm saying showing us great practices can obviously send a positive message,

Sincere respect,

Latest posts

Back