661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The temp increases were very small and could be caused by many different things so let's not jump to conclusions.
I was thinking along the lines of extral oil tranfering heat to the cooling fins , and also what happens in the real world doesnt always make sense on paper , all ive used for the last 8 or 9 years in bikes has been motorex 2 and 4 stroke i really like it .. Can we all start using it in our saws ?

I was thinking along the lines of extral oil tranfering heat to the cooling fins , and also what happens in the real world doesnt always make sense on paper , all ive used for the last 8 or 9 years in bikes has been motorex 2 and 4 stroke i really like it .. Can we all start using it in our saws ?
That's one possibility I mentioned about 100 pages back.
No reason you can't use Motorex in a saw.

Gasoline is a pretty strong solvent too...
Yes... but it ain't a (for lack of a better term) "washdown" solvent. Gasoline is a petroleum distillate that leaves an oily residue behind after evaporation... ethanol is a more powerful solvent that leaves behind a fine layer of moisture on an otherwise near perfectly clean surface.

Just my observation... but...
The two-cycles I've had apart that were running non-ethanol blended fuel have a thick, grease-like coating of lubricant on the internals... those running ethanol blends are noticeably different, much less residual lubricant that's more like vegetable oil.

I know a Logger, just retired at 62, that used over 25 gallons of fuel a month. He mixed Stihl HP Ultra at 50:1 in the winter and 40:1 in the summer. His last saw, stock 461, lasted only 5 months on HP ultra at 50:1 before a low-end bearing failed. The Dealer didn't say if the failure was oil related they just gave him a new one.
There was another guy in Arkansas that had about the same luck from a 461.

What puts more stress on bearings, increased compression or 50:1 mix? Talking ported saws of course.

[QUOTEenJax Tree, post: 5347199, member: 78378"]Not once its fixed with fuel[/QUOTE]
That doesn't matter for a couple reasons. One being that fuel would effect all oils the same, but more importantly the fuel portion of the fuel/oil mix evaporates once it enters the motor depositing the oil. In other words, oil alone lubricates your motor,not fuel/oil mix. As you can imagine fuel/oil mix has very little load carrying ability, so the fuel evaporating and depositing the oil is very important.

That doesn't matter for a couple reasons. One being that fuel would effect all oils the same,.
Wouldn't the different additives in all the different oils react/respond differently to the same fuel, like VP SEF ?
Also, if all oils were fixed with fuel, why then do some oils exhibit more changes to tuning than others (all fixed at the same ratio)?

32:1 loads 2-4 of these a day. 1.5-2.5 gallons a day 5-6 days a week, and I don't have any issues.
974d3b39a84d7ccb1576a0ee65f56124.jpg

Wouldn't the different additives in all the different oils react/respond differently to the same fuel, like VP SEF ?
Also, if all oils were fixed with fuel, why then do some oils exhibit more changes to tuning than others (all fixed at the same ratio)?
Not from a viscosity standpoint. What I am saying is the viscosity of the mix doesn't matter because mix isn't what lubes the engine. The oil does after the fuel evaporates.
Tuning changes because different oils effect combustion differently.

Back