First crane job.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BS Tree Service

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
So next week I have my first crane job. I am going to have the crane operator lift me into the trees. 9 spruce. I was wondering how you guys connect yourself to the crane. Do you connect right to the hook or another way? Any info or pics would help.

Thanks!

Best Practices for Crane Use in Arboriculture

I hope the crane operator has experiences...otherwise this sounds like the blind leading the blind. I haven't done a crane removal and wouldn't without learning ON SITE from somebody who has. That is my $0.02 (but may not even be worth that much).

I am pretty sure you never want to attach directly to the hook.

The crane ball should have a special loop of some sort to run your rope through, at least all of the cranes I have climbed with have.

Good luck.

Dude in that book looks just like Big John Hamilton!

Local crane takedown climbing legend! Six foot seven and 300 lbs of persuasive personality!

Even the trees did exactly what he insisted of them!

jomoco

LOL, do you you big John at Atlas?,,,lol, it kinda does!
Jeff

Yeah the retired Marine, had to scrape up his buddies in Lebbanon and put them in buckets!

Bare knuckle Tijuana brawler for cash!

Yeah folks were always mighty obliging when he asked them to move their cars!

Pretty much a gentle giant in person though, thank god!

jomoco

Yeah the retired Marine, had to scrape up his buddies in Lebbanon and put them in buckets!

Bare knuckle Tijuana brawler for cash!

Yeah folks were always mighty obliging when he asked them to move their cars!

Pretty much a gentle giant in person though, thank god!

jomoco

Yup, he is a nice guy, I only see him a couple times a year tho,,lol,,
Jeff

I've done a heap of crane work with many different co's, and never seen one with a setup like that pictured, or even seen a crane carrying a shackle big enough that you could get a beener through the hole in the pin for that matter. Looks pretty slick but also kinda gear intensive.

Getting lifted into the tree by the crane isn't allowed in aus, but everyone does it. I've always clipped straight into the hook, behind the chains. I know stateside most guys use soft slings for tree work but everyone here uses chains. If the clip on the hook is weak (most are) I tape it closed with duct tape, always have a couple roles in the truck. I put my rope through *behind* the chains too, not on the open side of the hook. If really worried and working off chains you could put your rope on the big chain ring but I always feel its a kinda tight radius.

Getting lifted with chains I usually get well below the ball for safety and keep the chain hooks at about feet-knee level so I've got length to use when in the tree. I wrap my legs around them when being lifted to stop getting hit with them. Also flake my rope over my shoulders before lift off and sling my pole strap over my shoulders too. Get into the tree, lowered in, pole strap comes off shoulders first and clip in, then pull rope off hook and throw flaked rope down, set rope and I'm ready to work. Hook up chains, lower myself (off the tree, not the crane), make the cut. Rinse and repeat until tree is gone.

+1 on not doing first crane job without someone to guide you, or at least an experienced crane op who knows trees and can read the balance point and guess weights. Or you're gonna get swatted/killed.

Shaun

Back