Chinese Tallow Tree limb size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxOldClimber

Reaction score
I'm taking down a medium-large Chinese Tallow tree in my neighbor's back yard. Actually, it's destroying the privacy fence and dropping limbs in my yard throughout the year. I'm going to bring it down branch by branch with rigging so we don't hit my house. This one will be the biggest of 6 that I've climbed on this one site.

Looking at the potential crotches for tie-in site, I've got a few concerns.
Assuming the tree is healthy (and for the most part is seems so the 2-3 times I've gone into it recently), what is the smallest size branch you would trust your weight on? Chinese Tallow trees are reputed to be on the brittle side. I've mostly brought down cherry and ash trees, and have done some canopy-cleaning in various Oak species.

This might be my first post here, but it's not my first rodeo. Just my first Chinese Tallow this close to a house.

Not an Arborist here, but I've cut a lot of (Texas) Chinese Tallow. It is indeed 'brittle'. Cuts easily and FAST.

Never climbed one...so I won't even hazard a guess at what diameter limbs will support your weight. It would depend on more than a few factors...I am sure. Please be very careful in that C/T!

Are you trusting the branch to stand on or as part of the tie in? If it is part of the tie in point, just make sure you go around the mainstem and use the branch to keep your rope from sliding. By doing this you can go down to a pretty small branch ~1" because your weight isn't on the branch junction.

YOu could also use a false crotch(friction saver).

Are you trusting the branch to stand on or as part of the tie in? If it is part of the tie in point, just make sure you go around the mainstem and use the branch to keep your rope from sliding. By doing this you can go down to a pretty small branch ~1" because your weight isn't on the branch junction.

YOu could also use a false crotch(friction saver).

WOW! Thanks both of you for the quick response.
Two of the branches that will threaten my roof when they fall are relatively high (about 20 ft, I would guess, but in only a 35ft tree) so the tie-in crotch will be only a few inches thick (3-4 estimate --- I have not climbed up to measure ;) )

I'm seriously thinking of using two climbing ropes instead of a climbing rope and a flip-line just in case the top one pops on me a lower one will catch me on a thicker main branch. Either one will let me lower down. At the moment I only have one split-tail for Blake's Hitch, but could rig up a second one or put on a prussic.

Also thinking seriously of rigging the climbing rope to the high crotch, then giving it a few bounces from the ground.

Always bounce your tie in! Checks your TIP and your gear. As far as tallows go, not the best wood by any means, you definitely have to respect them. Make sure you're around the central spar. How far out do you have to walk out to rig? As always pics would help.

Oh, and welcome to AS.

It is indeed 'brittle'. Cuts easily and FAST.
4ce7.jpg

WOW! Thanks both of you for the quick response.
Two of the branches that will threaten my roof when they fall are relatively high (about 20 ft, I would guess, but in only a 35ft tree) so the tie-in crotch will be only a few inches thick (3-4 estimate --- I have not climbed up to measure ;) )

I'm seriously thinking of using two climbing ropes instead of a climbing rope and a flip-line just in case the top one pops on me a lower one will catch me on a thicker main branch. Either one will let me lower down. At the moment I only have one split-tail for Blake's Hitch, but could rig up a second one or put on a prussic.

Also thinking seriously of rigging the climbing rope to the high crotch, then giving it a few bounces from the ground.

At 20', you could stand on a ladder, tie into the tree and then keep most of your weight on the ladder.

On a 35' tree, I suspect (spitballing without pics) the branches over the roof you want to remove are not that big and probably don't need to be roped down.

If you don't trust a crotch up higher, take a webbing sling, girth hitch (or prussic) it around the mainstem and then put a couple of biners on the sling and use this as a false crotch. The two biners is to enlarge the bending radius of your rope, you could also use a pulley (make sure it's rated).

Always bounce your tie in! Checks your TIP and your gear. As far as tallows go, not the best wood by any means, you definitely have to respect them. Make sure you're around the central spar. How far out do you have to walk out to rig? As always pics would help.

Oh, and welcome to AS.

The gold standard for testing is 3 guys on the rope jumping. If I'm ever climbing something that isn't brilliant to look at we do the 3 man bounce. It's only gay if you look into each others eyes when doing it. If it takes the bounce weight of 3, it's good to go.

Back