Who sells their wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Quachito

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'd like to hear if any members sell wood that you mill. I'd like to get a chainsaw mill and see if I can come up with a product or service that others would want for some dough.

I sell a little firewood on Craigslist as a side job. I am thinking about milling work to go beyond firewood.

Don't tell me I am crazy, 'cause I already know that.

I milled some Fir planks from a tree I took down for a neighbor. I made some shelves for my wife's potting shed with them. I've had several people ask for similar planks for shelves. When they decide what kind of wood they want them milled from, I'll give them a price. I also milled some planks from the same Fir log to put in a new floor and side boards on my small trailer. Just because it was sunny out and the planks were there, I took a picture of an old rifle I have on them. Since I posted pics of the rifle I've had several requests for planks to mount rifles on. Yes I will sell them. I've sold some spalted Maple at auction. Most sale are incidental. When I retire, in about 4 months, I plan on being a little more active selling my slabs for mad money, Joe.

That's the spirit rarefish383! That's what I am talking about. Those slabs look cool with the live edge and knots sticking out.

I also made a table for my hunting cabin that bolts to the wall and folds down. It seats 5 big guys, then folds up when it's time to throw the bed rolls down. Most any of the off the wall stuff I make gets interest from several people that can use something similar. Here's my table, it was a big Pine blow down on my farm in WV, Joe.

Dang, I was going to say I do that also, but wanted to keep it clean. Plus, my wife looks over my shoulder lots when I'm on here, and I want here to think all that extra money for my old guns comes from the flat slabs, Joe.

I milled some Fir planks from a tree I took down for a neighbor. I made some shelves for my wife's potting shed with them. I've had several people ask for similar planks for shelves. When they decide what kind of wood they want them milled from, I'll give them a price. I also milled some planks from the same Fir log to put in a new floor and side boards on my small trailer. Just because it was sunny out and the planks were there, I took a picture of an old rifle I have on them. Since I posted pics of the rifle I've had several requests for planks to mount rifles on. Yes I will sell them. I've sold some spalted Maple at auction. Most sale are incidental. When I retire, in about 4 months, I plan on being a little more active selling my slabs for mad money, Joe.

How much u sell them for

I slab it in the winter. Dry it for a year and sell it in the winter. Make like 4 grand every winter doing that. Then it's back to landscaping.

I slab it in the winter. Dry it for a year and sell it in the winter. Make like 4 grand every winter doing that. Then it's back to landscaping.

That sounds good. I have a shed or two I can use for drying when I get around to doing this.

I've got piles of slabs all over, some 3" thick that have been air drying for almost 3 years. I've only sold several smaller slabs like the Fir slabs with the rifle on it and they went for
$40 each. Sold a couple spalted Maple slabs about the size of the Fir at an auction and they went for $40 also, Joe.

Certainly. They have their time and place, that's for sure.

A guy stopped by here today to get some chains for an 076AV (.404 .063 gauge) and he talked about having a chainsaw mill that used two 090 powerheads! Golly, I bet that drinks some fuel!

Yeah--but I could be milling in hard to reach locations. Bandmill is always an option.

I tried to for a while, but there isn't so much demand for a fat white guy in this area. [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

I paid $1/ foot for rough sawed white oak last month.

335 Lft for a trailer.

It's weird what people will buy.
I cut up a small (~15" x 8ft) half dry Lemon Scented Gum log while I was working on my BS sharpening and setting skills.
The thickness of the slabs was between 7/8 to 12/8" thick, some wavy cuts, some cracks and pukey spots in it - I only ever intended for it to go to the chipper but I stacked the pack and put a photo of it in the local on-line classified and picked up $120 for it - should have asked for more.

Pack.jpg

I've sold some slabs to a local woodworking supply store (chain). They like to carry local woods for their customers. Its a wholesale deal and wont make you much, comes in handy in a pinch. If you have something unique you can get a little more. They might consign it for you if you want more money for an extra special piece/pieces. They might pass your name along to customers looking for something in particular also.

Back