Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone recently mentioned that they wanted fellow Poulan guys to take pics or vids when out cutting with the old green saws. :D I agree. So, yesterday was a windy cool day, ideal for doing some saw work. Dropped this Ash, of some kind, that was still in good shape. Have used up most of the Ash around here the last 4-5 years.

Thought I would use a saw I havn't touched for a long time. My 3700 Poulan. I use to use it, till I got hooked on 4000's. LOL Put a bar on it, fueled and oiled it up. Wiped some dust & grunge off of it. Tank was empty, so had my doubts. 5 pulls with the choke and it popped. One more, with the choke off, and fired right up, good as new.
The video, if I can get it on here, ain't much. Just an old fat codger makin a few cuts.

3700%20004_zpspzytasjo.jpg

3700%20005_zpszxq0o286.jpg

3700%20009_zpslzkkpztb.jpg
3700%20011_zps9xbuvlsb.jpg

3700%20006_zpsebeglslg.jpg

Gregg,

Isn't it amazing how us old Poulan guys use our right thumb to pump the manual oiler? Bet if you timed the pumps they would be very consistent.

Yup, your right Bob! When I have one of these midsize (3400 3700 4000) Poulans in my hands, its like my thumb has a mind of its own. Like its telling me..Don't worry boss, I'll take care of the oiler for you!. :D
My thumb don't know what to do when running saws without it. Kinda like hanging out in the air, looking for something to do. :dizzy:

Gregg,

Yup, your right Bob! When I have one of these midsize (3400 3700 4000) Poulans in my hands, its like my thumb has a mind of its own. Like its telling me..Don't worry boss, I'll take care of the oiler for you!. :D
My thumb don't know what to do when running saws without it. Kinda like hanging out in the air, looking for something to do. :dizzy:

Gregg,

Great pics and video Gregg! Very cool. I'll will do the same this weekend, going to be doing some more cutting and going to take a 5200 this time.
I found myself using the manual oiler quite a bit on the 3.7 last weekend too! Nice feature for sure!

Great pics and video Gregg! Very cool. I'll will do the same this weekend, going to be doing some more cutting and going to take a 5200 this time.
I found myself using the manual oiler quite a bit on the 3.7 last weekend too! Nice feature for sure!

Not sure, but I think it might have been you Nate, that suggested we take pics of our wood cutting "adventures".
My old geezer memory ain't what it used to be. :confused:

Looking forward to the pics. Probably should have someone get a picture of the Big Grin on your face, when ya put the 5200 to work. LOL I wish I could use mine. Just don't have any trees worthy of it at the moment.

Gregg,

I cut some firewood up today with a 3800. Ran great as well. I think it's the first time I've used it to cut some wood since I fixed it up.

I have a bit more to cut up tomorrow and some to split and stack. It was good to run a Poulan in that series again. I did run a tank through the S25DA last week(?) and it cuts really well.

A collector friend of mine was down 2 weeks or so ago to picked up a Pioneer 700 I picked up for him. He has many old saws andhas owned a number of larger Stihls that he used to cut firewood for sale with.
I had told him several times about the 5200 and he wanted to try it out. He was very impressed with that saw.

wood.JPG

Someone recently mentioned that they wanted fellow Poulan guys to take pics or vids when out cutting with the old green saws. :D I agree. So, yesterday was a windy cool day, ideal for doing some saw work. Dropped this Ash, of some kind, that was still in good shape. Have used up most of the Ash around here the last 4-5 years.

Thought I would use a saw I havn't touched for a long time. My 3700 Poulan. I use to use it, till I got hooked on 4000's. LOL Put a bar on it, fueled and oiled it up. Wiped some dust & grunge off of it. Tank was empty, so had my doubts. 5 pulls with the choke and it popped. One more, with the choke off, and fired right up, good as new.
The video, if I can get it on here, ain't much. Just an old fat codger makin a few cuts.

3700%20004_zpspzytasjo.jpg

3700%20005_zpszxq0o286.jpg

3700%20009_zpslzkkpztb.jpg
3700%20011_zps9xbuvlsb.jpg

3700%20006_zpsebeglslg.jpg

Gregg,

Nice saw Gregg and cuts as good as it looks. I also like that old Ford, last forever tractor. How'd you get the tree back to the house?

Nice pics above fellows. It makes me want to head out this weekend and do some cutting as well.

Here is a CTC branded 3400 that I finally got around to. I started with a squish. It also received new lines, filter, oil pump diaphragm/gaskets , pickup line, kit, chain and rim sprocket. I also gave it dual side ports on the muffler and fashioned up a bit of a longer spike for it. I find with the thickly furrowed bark on the D.Fir around here that the paint on the front of the case halves doesn't last long if you need to work the big stuff and can't keep it away from the saw. And, the paint on these seem to lack tenacity up front to start with. The longer spikes help for certain in spite of losing bar length.

Poulan CTC 3400 (5).JPG Poulan CTC 3400 (1).JPG Poulan CTC 3400 (3).JPG Poulan CTC 3400 (6).JPG

My contribution to the cutting footage is a stock Skil branded 3400 in some smaller D.Fir. I do aim to gather more video this summer.

http://vid26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/Hoggwood/3400 Douglas Fir Cookie 3_zpseccm8hzn.mp4

Nice saw Gregg and cuts as good as it looks. I also like that old Ford, last forever tractor. How'd you get the tree back to the house?

Tim, I used another old Ford tractor to drag them up there. My 5000 with the boom pole on it that I made. Handy thing to have. Tree was in a tough spot to get at with the tractor. Cut the top off. Then drug the tree about 30ft. Cut it in half, and brought it up in two pieces. ;) Much nicer cutting it up right next to where it will be stacked till I split it.
No skeeters either!!!!!!!

Gregg,

Nice pics above fellows. It makes me want to head out this weekend and do some cutting as well.

Here is a CTC branded 3400 that I finally got around to. I started with a squish. It also received new lines, filter, oil pump diaphragm/gaskets , pickup line, kit, chain and rim sprocket. I also gave it dual side ports on the muffler and fashioned up a bit of a longer spike for it. I find with the thickly furrowed bark on the D.Fir around here that the paint on the front of the case halves doesn't last long if you need to work the big stuff and can't keep it away from the saw. And, the paint on these seem to lack tenacity up front to start with. The longer spikes help for certain in spite of losing bar length.

View attachment 426416 View attachment 426418 View attachment 426419 View attachment 426420

My contribution to the cutting footage is a stock Skil branded 3400 in some smaller D.Fir. I do aim to gather more video this summer.

http://vid26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/Hoggwood/3400 Douglas Fir Cookie 3_zpseccm8hzn.mp4

Thats a nice looking bucking/felling spike you have on that saw! Custom made? Or was that a Canadian option? Never seen one quite like that.

Gregg,

Thats a nice looking bucking/felling spike you have on that saw! Custom made? Or was that a Canadian option? Never seen one quite like that.

Gregg,
That is one of my "custom" spikes Gregg. If one could call my handiwork custom? More like Red Green meets MacGyver meets desperation. All of my 3400's have come to me without any spikes. I gather most homeowners who bought them originally tried to save a few bucks. I haven't fired the saw up yet though. I am still waiting for the Motoseal to set up a bit more now that the ambient temperature is on the rise in the garage. It should pull well with the "shortened" 16".

This is what I use to move, drag, pick up, logs, trees etc. Gets the job done. Tractor gets pretty light on the front end with a big heavy log like that Oak in the pic. You basically just steer with the brakes. :)

Boom%20Pole%20006_zpso3phb5az.jpg

GTGwood%20016_zpsz91zw3o6.jpg

Gregg,

I folded a boom pole in half once trying to move a 2' oak log. I think I have a picture of it on top of the last pile of scrap I sold.

Latest posts

Back