Need help IDing tree disease

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Log Splitter

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
The ash tree in my mother-in-laws yard is just covered with lesions on its leaves. Can you guys tell me what the disease might be and if there is any treatment she should considerIMG_0359.JPG ?

Not an ash as the leaves are alternate and not opposite. Leaf gall of some type. Usally not life threatening. Have to get a positive ID on the tree then we can get a ID on the bug creating the gall. Probably a wasp.

And I've lived here all my life and did not recognize a hackberry tree or ever heard of a Hackberry gall psyllid until today. I guess my MIL is in for a tough fall with all the bugs.

Thanks to you guys from back east for helping me learn something today. At least I can ID hickory and oak when I need firewood. :)

The bugs are beneficial; MIL can worry about something else. like that guy who took her daughter away...

They're food for birds, spiders, bigger (non-stinging) wasps, and fox squirrels, and do no harm The aesthetic and early-shedding results are nuisances at most. Tree owners ime learn to get over the nuisance when they open their eyes to the bigger ecological picture.

Latest posts

Back