Not a typical autotune rant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adventurebob

monkeys and shakespeare, baby!
Reaction score
NOT THE TYPICAL AUTOTUNE RANT! My saw runs just fine, thanks.
I go to my local servicing dealer and ask if they have the diagnostic... they do but they've never used it. So I check a couple of other dealers in our area, they either don't have a clue or are under the impression that they can't get it.
So in the big scheme of things are the AT saws actually being sold? Judging by the amount of dealers who have the tool, I would say there aren't that many, or that no ones paying any attention to the AT data.
With what Im finding and all the "I hate autotune" posts, I would think that maybe if dealers were using the diagnostic tools, folks would have a better experience with these saws vice the remove and replace mess you read about.
My dealer is at least willing to load the software and let me be a guinea pig for them. Im willing because im curious as to what the data in my saw shows.
Ill keep an update running.

Only on arboristsite is autotune problematic... they get the job done very very well in the real world... I've been running them for years and never needed anything done go them. Also theirs a lot more of them running every day than most realize

My new favorite saw is my 2260 autotune. 16" 3\8, it's a little monster!
Have had zero issues with it.
I believe it was someone on here who said the problem isn't usually autotune, the problems are just typical saw problems like air leaks, bad carb, etc. but autotune becomes an easy scapegoat, because it's "new" it's "technology" and the dealers just don't want to learn.

I am a 250 unit a year dealer. That's pretty small in the scheme of things. Over the last three years I have probably sold over 50 M-Tronic saws. Most have been 362's and 261's. I have the software and testing tools and they are sitting there collecting dust. The only times I see these saws are for a variety of reasons, but not anything M-Tronic related.

My dealer has the tools but has never really needed it either. Only a couple M-Tronic saws have been brought back but it was due to straight gas.

do the M-tronic saws collect run time data like autotune does?

Yes the M-Tronic saws collect run time data like operating hours (if the control unit supports this feature, the early ones don`t do that). Also the number of succsessfull starts are counted and the fuel settings for idle and full throttle are shown and the temperature of the control unit during data read out.

People draw conclusions on a product with a sample size of 1. If their saw or insert whatever gadget works then it's the greatest, if it doesn't it's a piece of $hit. This type of reasoning has no basis in statistical significance.

Most of the auto tunes are without issue but when they do have a issues they can be very aggravating. Bearing failures have become so common, that Husky is selling dealers entire bottom ends to speed up the repair process. I have heard the new case has an additional bolt too. Although I have not seen one yet to verify this.

Bearing failures have become so common, that Husky is selling dealers entire bottom ends to speed up the repair process. I have heard the new case has an additional bolt too. Although I have not seen one yet to verify this.
Is this on a particular model or all AT saws?

Maybe I wasn't completely clear...this isn't about whether the saw is good or not. Mines great cuts wood like an angry beaver. Its about the dealer network and their understanding/use of the AT software. 6 dealers, none with auto tune up and running.

Back