Where's WYK been, and what trouble is he making?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, 300 for a registration! I hope the Republic will still respect you in the morning, Wes.

Back in the 90's, when Fineland wasn't yet an Union member, you had to show up at the Home Office of the UK after every 3 months. The stamp didn't cost anything, but you had to show them some cash - few hundred pounds, I don't remember it exactly anymore - in order to prove you are able to pay your rent and ****. They didn't want to know where you had the money from, so they saw the very same bills several times. The flash money circulated among the lads, who of course, seldom had that amount of cash in the pocket.

Been chillin out in Esher (Surrey) England the last week doing tree work for a friend of the estate owner I work for. Good money - but real work. I am sore all over. MUCH easier being a forester than an arborist ;)

The good news is I got a new toy when I arrived, courtesy of France:

160141763.GWGlNTr0.jpg

160141762.HDxV4bVp.jpg

160141764.5VDwS3WP.jpg

160141765.lZhfrEoo.jpg

160141766.eiaMAfyM.jpg

Attachments

• 281-1.jpg
    281-1.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 7
Ah, finally showed!

Back at home here in Ireland. Opened up the exhaust a lot on the 281xp, and she's much happier. Revs real quick. Put her on the comp gauge and she blew 19o+ psi. And this is with the gasket in! Squish is .042. DO I dare rremove it? Not until I replace that tiny handle. WIll try her in big wood tomorrow with a 30" bar and see how she does.

Wes there is a sort of a trick to starting those..........get her up almost at tdc before ya pull like ya mean it. you can't just snatch them lol. it looks like it ain't done much, i liked those.

yea they do. its a shame they don't still make saws like that. another black bar......you like it?

Same one - using an adapter, and modified it a bit to work.

I spose I should do a review on it while I am here:

Pros: Light, hard-wearing finish, affordable, says 'FOREST' on it, not sloppy like Oregon Reduced Weight bars are.

Cons: soft compared to Stihl bars. About like an Oregon Pro Match bar on a bad day

It balances very well on the 281, though.

So, at first I was afraid there may be sumfin amiss like a tank vent or seals coz she wouldn't stay at idle. She kept losing idle as I used her. Then I noticed the idle screw itself adjusts as she runs. The spring is very weak. Hard to blame her, she dances like mad if you leave her on the floor idling.

281 w-syc.jpg

The chain has seen better days, but you get the idea how she runs.

Chuggin right long. Also fitted the 25" stihl laminated bar to it. MUCH lighter package. I'll have a pic in a bit. She is a monster running it, tho. Only complaint so far is she is very thirsty.

160224488.nj8Lx4KB.jpg

Remember when I said the finish was rugged on the Iggy bar? Well, it's Black on black!

160224489.PS8JivST.jpg

160224474.EDpkPxFA.jpg

OK, got the puter all soldered up and mostly working. Ah yeahh.

Well, I buried the 30" bar in some red oak the other day, and she did amazingly well. Very impressed with the torque and speed of this thing. It would easily pull a 36" bar in fir.
That handle is a HyWay 'elasto start'. It does work quite a bit better than the original tiny husqvarna handle. I am curious to see how long it lasts. It cost 20 euro less than the Stihl counterpart.

If anyone is looking for a new, reliable, nearly waterproof, rugged smart phone at a good price, I highly suggest the Motorola Moto G 4G. Dropped this thing twice so far, and once into the bath tub(watching youtube vids whilst soaking, no less), and she's been fine. 150 Euro! Woo!

Back