This was not my idea. Really...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Things get to be a bit excitin' when guy wires break or get screwed up.
Usually happens when someone runs into the wires with a tractor... stretches 'em and/or pulls the guy anchor loose.
I've witnessed two of 'em come down while we were trying to save 'em.
Just curious, how would you save them? Is it a situation where you can catch the end of a guy wire and get it tensioned again? I can't fathom sending someone up a tower that's nearing failure.

Is it a situation where you can catch the end of a guy wire and get it tensioned again?
Yes... no one goes up a tower with broken or damaged guy wires... no one I know anyway.
If the tower is leaning hard... all it takes is the right gust of wind... or the remaining guy wire(s) to break from the strain.
Saving one is sort of a scramble... work fast, but watch your azz...

The common situation is the wires are hit with a vehicle, such as a tractor, close to the guy anchor. The wire stretches or breaks at the impact point, or the anchor is bent, pulled loose, or some such. Stretched wires can be re tensioned. In the case of a broken wire a length is spliced on and reattached to the anchor. If the anchor is damaged beyond repair a temporary one is put in place and the wires are moved to it (one at a time) by splicing on, attaching to the temporary anchor before detaching from the damaged one. Once the new permanent anchor is installed the wires are moved to it.

Only after all the wires are connected and tensioned (and the tower is standing straight/plumb) does anyone go up. At that point the wires can be replaced one at a time if warranted... the new wire is put in place and tensioned before the old one is disconnected.

We have some new moderators. They're tangled and stumbling in the robes of their Order.
one thing about it,,they could do everything wrong,,,and still be way better than you ever were,,with your condescending attitude,,and treatment of people on here the same...

As an ordained minister, I think all y'all should take it to Politics and Religion.
QUOTE]
and you had to state this,why?? ordained with what religious order??

The common situation is the wires are hit with a vehicle, such as a tractor, close to the guy anchor.

I've seen it done on power poles, but that's a significantly lower risk. I've had messenger lines come loose from my grip, but that's nowhere near the level of excitement, and had an 80' antenna tower pop a guy and come down, even that's a minimal impact. Can't imagine a big one coming down.

I've seen it done on power poles, but that's a significantly lower risk. I've had messenger lines come loose from my grip, but that's nowhere near the level of excitement, and had an 80' antenna tower pop a guy and come down, even that's a minimal impact. Can't imagine a big one coming down.
and spidey SOMEWHAT downplays the danger.......

Where are them wonnerful new mods?
View attachment 427114
We are hear shaking our heads. Same old crap day in and day out. I swear if we locked them in a room together for ten minutes they would either tear each other apart or procreate. I think there's a 50:50 chance for either.
I'm just not sure what to do at this phase. You drop a hint and it lasts a day or two, if we're luck it last a week/week and a half.
What's fair punishment this kind of misbehavior, @olyman, @Gologit, @slowp? Your all in the same boat, care to choose the waterfall or rapids?

We are hear shaking our heads. Same old crap day in and day out. I swear if we locked them in a room together for ten minutes they would either tear each other apart or procreate. I think there's a 50:50 chance for either.
I'm just not sure what to do at this phase. You drop a hint and it lasts a day or two, if we're luck it last a week/week and a half.
What's fair punishment this kind of misbehavior, @olyman, @Gologit, @slowp? Your all in the same boat, care to choose the waterfall or rapids?
Force Ignore

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/force-ignore-by-waindigo.51938/

Your welcome

I wouldn't count on that. The thought of procreating with Oly kinda makes my skin crawl. ;)
Also, if you you have a problem with me personally there are tools at your disposal to take care of the situation. You know this, I know this.
Use them or don't...I really don't care one way or the other. This is a good forum but I can live without it.
But get off my back, okay? Stop with the lectures and the veiled threats. They're juvenile and definitely not necessary. I don't need the likes of you to lecture me on how to conduct myself.
You guys take all this stuff too seriously. I made the comment to give you a chance to cool off and walk away for a while, not to make personal attacks. I don't seek opportunities to remove people's rights on the forum. Why can't you just take the hint and go socialize in another area for a while. You seem to have no regard for your comments or the dismay you cause to the forum when bickering so maybe you do need some time away.
The irony of your no whining symbol makes good comedy.

"look at me I cut down a whole tree all by myself" section.
OMG!!! What I wouldn't give to have known about this earlier! I can finally find a place where I fit in!
Bob, as a gift to the other chainsaw forum, you should get urself banned. It would be like Christmas in May for my pathetic riff-raff buddies

Forum moderation is a hiding for noth'n kinda job. Most often filled by either power-tripping tossers so insecure in their intellect they wield the ban stick with about as much precision and objectivity as a drunk, pathological village idiot swinging at a piñata , or very well-meaning people who eventually get burnt out on all the grief and angst and lose all faith in mankind, and often found in a foetal position in a safe corner of a dark room.

Christmas Party

December 1...To All Employees

I'm happy to inform you that the company Christmas Party will be held
on December 23rd at Luigi's Open Pit Barbecue. There will be lots of
spiked eggnog and a small band will play traditional carols...feel free
to sing-along. And don't be surprised if our CEO shows up dressed as
Santa Claus to light the Christmas tree.

Exchanging gifts among employees can be done at this time. Please
remember to keep gifts to the agreed $10 limit.

Merry Christmas to you and yours,

Patty Lewis, Human Resources Director

------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 2...To All Employees

In no way was yesterday's memo intended to exclude our Jewish
employees. We recognize that Hanukkah is an important holiday and
often coincides with Christmas (although not this year). However, from
now on we're calling this party our Holiday Party. The same policy also
applies to employees who are celebrating Kwanzaa at this time. There
will be no tree or Christmas carols sung.

Happy holidays to you and yours.

December 3...To All Employees

Regarding the anonymous note I received from a member of Alcoholics
Anonymous requesting a non-drinking table, I'm happy to accommodate
your request but please remember that if I put a sign on the table that
reads "AA Only" you won't be anonymous any more.

In addition, we'll no longer be having a gift exchange because union
members feel that $10 is too much money.

Patti Lewis, Human Resources Director

December 7...To All Employees

I have arranged for members of Overeaters Anonymous to sit farthest
away from the dessert table and for pregnant members to sit closest to
the restrooms. Gays are allowed to sit with each other. Lesbians do not
have to sit with gays; each group will have its own table. And, yes,
there will be a flower arrangement for the gay men's table.

Happy now?

December 9...To All Employees

People! People! Nothing sinister was intended by wanting our CEO to
play Santa Claus. Even if the anagram for "Santa" does happen to be
"Satan." There is no evil connation to our own little "man in a red
suit."

Patti Lewis, Human Resources Director

December 10...To All Employees

Vegetarians! I've had it with you people. We're holding this party at