Fitchburg chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Removing Fitchburg blades/knives

The middle short bolt is installed as a plug to keep debris from fouling the threads and entering into the cavity behind the clamp block. The center hole in the clamp/wedge block is the only one with threads in the removable clamp/wedge block itself and is used to "jack the block out" as they usually stick after all 4 clamping allens are removed. Just remove the short "plug" allen and thread in a long one in the middle and it will hit bottom on the rotor, it takes some torque to pop them loose some times. If rust is present and more than 90 foot pounds of torque doesn't pop it soak the hell out of it with KROIL for a couple hour, or WD 40 for 3 days.
Make sure the bolt you use has plenty of thread so the bolt shoulder doesn't bind into the hole b4 bottoms against the rotor!!
Precautions;
Clean all allen heads thoroughly so the wrench inserts ALL the way. I've had guys shot cut this and round out the bolts!!! Try drilling out grade 8 socket head cap screws !!
Number the blades and rotor cavities as some blade sets are not sharpened evenly and you'll save time not mixing them in the wrong positions!
I welded an extra long allen wrench for the little adjusting allens that set the blade to anvil clearance. be sure to clean those also so the wrench inserts and removes fully and easily.
I ALWAYS CLEAN EVERY SURFACE of blades, clamp/wedge blocks and rotor cavities down to bare metal (wire wheel on pedestal grinderor the blades can fret loose and cause serious injury and destroy Parts!
Blades can loosen while chipping and (I set my clearance to .007" min./ .009 max with a feeler guage) and because the design uses no bolts through the blade they can throw chunks and did in a bad accident in Fresno,ca! (Not My crews)
I chase the threads with proper taps and torque clamp/ wedge blocks evenly just like an engine head .
I use the Fitchberg still today but blades take me 3 hrs to do right, I've never had a problem but I know why "they don't make 'em like that anymore"!!!!
(the disc chippers took me abot 45 minutes to install new blades, set clearances and on larger capacity chippers!!)

Bill I purchased a fitzburg chipper and would like a manual if you can provide one, I am having a problem removing the cutter knives, they seem to be held in place with 4 allen head bolts with one bolt in the middle (5th) that is much shorter. Once the bolts are removed the blade still doesn't move. Please help

I will dig out a copy today

Bill

Bill G. and Donaldburgess

Thanks alot guys I will try to remove blades as soon as it quits raining, I feel I am growing webs between my toes.
Bill G
My address is 202 Redlick Ln., Karthaus, PA 16845 814 387-4085 I will call you for the price again thank you both the info is very helpful.

Thanks again

Bob Norbeck

Manual for Fitchburg chipper

Thanks Jim R, that would be great if you could remake the manual it would take alot of pressure off Bill.
Thanks again rwn630.

Hi Jim,
appreciate all effort from you and Bill to help others owning a Fitchburg. I got a 12" and would really appreciate the manual - if possible in PDF.
Or a link to it.

Right now I just do not have the time to PDF the file. I'm working way too many hours and travelling a lot for business. Someday, hopefully soon things will settle down where I can do it. Jim Lower plate settings are .065 - .070 The bed knife setting is .004 - .006. I run mine at .010.

I will dig out a copy today

Bill
Jim or Bill,
I have never used a forum before so I am not sure this is still a valid one since the last post I show is 2006 but if it is, is there any way you can point to a place i can find a manual for my fitchburg 12 inch chipper. I just bought one and do not know anything about it. I cannot find one anywhere and saw numerous posts where you helped many others with copying one, and if you are willing I would gladly pay for a copy.
Any help would be appreciated.
Rex

Jim or Bill,
I have never used a forum before so I am not sure this is still a valid one since the last post I show is 2006 but if it is, is there any way you can point to a place i can find a manual for my fitchburg 12 inch chipper. I just bought one and do not know anything about it. I cannot find one anywhere and saw numerous posts where you helped many others with copying one, and if you are willing I would gladly pay for a copy.
Any help would be appreciated.
Rex

Rex,

Send me your address and I will mail one out this week.

Bill

Bill, I sent you my address (I think). Like I said I am new to this. Please send me your address and let me pay you for your time and effort, I really appreciate it and am more than happy to pay you for your time and service you are providing, and apparently have been providing for quite some time. Like I said, I really appreciate it. If I messed something up and you did not get my address let me know and I will try again.
Rex

Hi all,

I just picked a 12" Fitchburg that's in need of a complete overhaul. The machine is in pretty rough shape but I've managed to get all the water out of the engine and have it running pretty decent. It has an old crysler slant 6. I tried running a couple pieces of wood through it and it wouldnt shoot out the chips at all. They would just get plugged in the Shute. It seemed to be chipping the wood, just would not feeding itself or shooting them out. I've noticed a bar under what I think is the feed plate is broken. If anybody could help me out with a manual, I can scan it and make a PDF version to post on the site. Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Ryan

I just bought a Fitchburg 12 in drum chipper with a 4cylinder ford engine. I just put new blades in. What height are the blades suppose to be set? I set the new blade where the seated about 1/4 past the end of the bevel on the sharp end of the blade...about the same height as the old ones. I dont know if this was right or not though. I then went to adjust the bed knife and found it to be cracked in two. Is there a manual available for this chipper anywhere and where can I get a replacement bed knife? What size wood is this unit suppose to chip? Thanks for the help.[
Rex,

Send me your address and I will mail one out this week.

Bill
Hello Bill, I never got a copy of the manual and was wondering if the offer was still valid. I will gladly pay shipping and copy cost, if you send me your address and an amount i will send you the money. My address is:
Rex DeMoss
7896 West County Road 76
Guthrie, Ok 73044
You can contact me via email at [email protected]
I would appreciate any help you can give.

I dug the books out today. I will see about sending ot some copies Thursday. I have Rex and Nick's address I just need whoever else wants one as it easiest to make one trip to the 2 hr post office

Thanks Bill. Here's my address
Ryan McElroy
490 Fowler Lane
Isle La Motte, VT

Please let me know any costs. Once I have a copy I will scan it and post a pdf file on here so you won't have to make any more copies

Thanks again
Ryan

Hello Bill, I never got a copy of the manual and was wondering if the offer was still valid. I will gladly pay shipping and copy cost, if you send me your address and an amount i will send you the money. My address is:
Rex DeMoss
7896 West County Road 76
Guthrie, Ok 73044
You can contact me via email at [email protected]
I would appreciate any help you can give.

Looks to me that yours arrived Monday June 1. Hope it is of value

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=9405503699300068034671

Latest posts

Back