I want a new wood stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marine5068

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Need to replace my old and tired Century wood stove.
I would like one that is an extra large in order to heat the whole 1200 sq/ft house for shoulder seasons.
The old Century is only a medium size and is not a secondary burn type stove nor is it a cat stove.
Would love a Blaze King - King Ultra, but that's a pricey stove at $3500 CAD.
It would be great to go to work and then stoke it up again when I got home...no making a new fire and waiting for the place to heat up each time I want heat.
I can also get a great secondary burn wood stove from Drolet called the HT2000 and it's $1500 CAD. And they will deliver it for free.
What to Do, What to do.....hmmm.

Well, if you are lookin for O-pinions...I'd buy the Drolet. That's a big firebox, rated at up to double your sq ft. The HT2000 holds coals pretty well too, stove that size should go 10-12 hours easily, especially with hardwoods. Rake the coals from the back to the front, right by the "boost air" port, load wood on top of coals, open damper fully, bam...done!
BTW, Menards has the HT2000 for $979 right now, may want to get on their site and see what it would cost to have it shipped to your house.
My 2 cents

I'd get the ht2000
Blaze kings are amazing but ugly expensive and huge . The drolet has excellent reviews and hard to beat for the money

IMO the King is too large of a stove for your application. I think you should consider a smaller stove from Blaze King and that will help reduce your cost. I don't see where a secondary burn stove will operate on the same performance level as the cat stoves all choked down. I your looking for best performance then you can't go wrong with the Blaze King line

I still think I'm going with the Drolet HT2000. Can't beat $1500 delivered to my door.
The reason is that it will be easier on the pocket book, it looks good and is well built.
The closest Blaze King that would barely heat the space is the Princess and comes in at $2700 with no delivery.
The whole square footage of the house is 2400sq/ft. Each level is 1200sq/ft.
Basement is a front walkout with the three other sides underground.
Stove is situated right in the center of the basement with generous floor vents above.
House is well insulated and perfectly orientated for weather (front large glass windows and doors face South/East with minimal exposure to the North-Westerlies).
I use the wood stove in shoulder seasons only with the occasional use when the temps hit record lows near the -25-40 degree Celsius marks.
I'm away for 13 hours at a time working continental shifts and need longer burn times with a large firebox that I can fill and go.
Right now my burn times are about 3-4 hours and that sucks.

I just picked up the Woodstock progress hybrid. Compared to the englander nc30 it is a work of art. U are definitely getting something for what u pay for in this case. It's soapstone and cast iron so hopefully it will retain some heat.

Latest posts

Back