Need advice replacing cutter wheel drive shaft

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimma

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I broke the bolt holding the driveshaft to the upper gear box on my vermeer 352 stump grinder. I removed the upper gear box and pulled out the old shaft and ordered a complete shaft with bearings and u-joints. Re-attached the upper gear box and slid the shaft down the boom where the lower u joint slips over the spline of the lower gear box. I tried for hours trying to get the u joint to slide over the spline with no luck. Tried lowering the boom and raising the front end to get the boom as level as I can, but can not get the u joint to seat on the spline. I repla
ced one a couple of weeks ago and had some problems but after getting the boom as level as possible, it finally slipped on. But this one will just not cooperate. very little room to work and its impossible to see if the ujoint is going on straight or tilting a bit and not aligning properly. Anyone know the trick to getting the driveshaft back on. it's kind of heavy and gets tiring trying to hold the gear box and maneuver the shaft down the boom straight. Anybody got anything?

finally spoke to vermeer mechanic and he showed me what's . you remove the top gear box to get the drive shaft out and reattach the new one. Then take off the bottom gear box, drop the shaft down the boom and fasten the top gear box. then manipulate the bottom gear box back on so the u-joint of the shaft slips over the spline and re-fasten the bottom gear box. Took a couple of hours, but it finally came together and back in business.

Back