Peat Moss Soil Topping?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

animefangz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I planted an 8 foot bare-root tree earlier this month, and I was told to mix ample amounts of peat moss with the dirt. I decided to mix one bag of peat moss with the soil I had dug from the hole. It really was such a small amount in comparison with the hole that it wasn't really noticeable that I added anything.

Anyway, I was told to loosely stake the tree for the first year to allow movement so the roots could be stronger and healthier. I improvised a stake...like REALLY improvised. I'm glad I did though, there have been heavy winds recently.

The moving of the tree allowed a small crevice between the base and the soil that formed due to the slight back-and-forth/circular movement. I didn't like that, so I decided to take a bit of peat moss, mix it with water, and put it over the top layer. It was enough to cover the top layer in peat moss and cover/fill in the crevice.

I looked up if what I did was good or bad, but I found some people saying not to mix in peat moss in general, so now I'm worried that I shouldn't have put on small top layer. If anyone knows anything about this subject, please tell me if the slight layer of peat moss could negatively affect the tree in the long run.

The argument against supplementing the planting hole is that you give the new tree a small "bowl" of really nice soil where it is content and it is not as apt to spread out into the rest of the soil as well. The argument for supplementation is that you give those first roots a really good start.

Topping the soil with peat moss is not terribly different then mulching the tree - which is excellent. I don't think there is really anything bad about putting a thin layer on top as long as it is not too thick and not piled against the base of the tree.

The argument against supplementing the planting hole is that you give the new tree a small "bowl" of really nice soil where it is content and it is not as apt to spread out into the rest of the soil as well. The argument for supplementation is that you give those first roots a really good start.

Topping the soil with peat moss is not terribly different then mulching the tree - which is excellent. I don't think there is really anything bad about putting a thin layer on top as long as it is not too thick and not piled against the base of the tree.

I was thinking it was similar to mulching too. Thanks for the reply.

Mixing a bit of peat moss in the soil can add some organic matter, and improve CEC. Good.
Adding a layer to the top of the soil is not the same as adding mulch. Peat moss (when it dries out) is hydrophobic. Bad.

Mulch over top will probably keep the peat layer from drying and repelling water.

The general argument against the use of peat these days is in regards to how unsustainable the harvest of peat is (a "non-renewable" resource on par with fossil fuels). I agree that you would have to have several inches of densely compacted peat to have a water penetration issue. Just keep in mind that peat provides basically no nutrition to the plant, so raking in some compost to the top couple inches of soil would be helpful too.

My issue with peat moss is its acidic. That's why I asked about the species. Most birches are going to want a alkaline soil. River birch perhaps being the exception.

Taken from http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/howtos/ht_birch/ht_birch.htm#intro
Soil acidity - Birch trees do best on slightly acidic soils (pH 5.0 - 6.5), though the white-barked birches especially our native paper birch-are capable of growing well on alkaline soils. River birch often develops iron chlorosis (yellow foliage) in alkaline soils and should be avoided as a tree selection in most cases where the pH is greater than 6.5. Slightly alkaline soils can be made more acidic if you add soil amendments, though it can be difficult to maintain the soil pH over the life span of a tree (discuss this with your county extension agent). Soil tests can be obtained at many county extension offices and some nurseries

Taken from http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/howtos/ht_birch/ht_birch.htm#intro
Soil acidity - Birch trees do best on slightly acidic soils (pH 5.0 - 6.5), though the white-barked birches especially our native paper birch-are capable of growing well on alkaline soils. River birch often develops iron chlorosis (yellow foliage) in alkaline soils and should be avoided as a tree selection in most cases where the pH is greater than 6.5. Slightly alkaline soils can be made more acidic if you add soil amendments, though it can be difficult to maintain the soil pH over the life span of a tree (discuss this with your county extension agent). Soil tests can be obtained at many county extension offices and some nurseries
My soil is really good, so I'm hoping the small amount of peatmoss mixed in and small layer on top isn't too acidic.

Back