the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any of you getting DNS errors trying to access this site?
some old book said:
Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.
Evil forces have been a few steps ahead of AS site administrators for some time. By the time site admin plug one hole, a few more have been opened up. That said, not all of it is down to wrong-doers. A wee bit of gear failure, a dollop of incompetence, and perhaps a dash of poor advice in the mix too. But good on the site admin for keeping on keeping on.

G'day guys hope ya all having a good weekend ,few random pics...
Myself am not fussed about red belly black snakes and leave them be,the young guys at work freaked out about this one being in the mill and gave it a massage, somehow I don't think is was out to get anyone...Got to luv our cranky ass bull ants especially when your oblivious to standing on top of a nest! haha...
1.JPG 2.JPG 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG

Rent one, they're a little over a $100 for a day here....if there's 3 of you working it you'll split over 25T in a good day no problem......cheaper than owning one and doing a ton here and a ton there.

I was going to buy one, but since I can split everything I need for 2 years in one day I decided it wasn't worth it, plus my trailers been stolen so have to get another one of those....

what type of rifle mounted spot light do you use if you use one

Jetbeam is the go. I use the torches with the lithium ion rechargeable laptop batteries, the 18650's I think they are called....one of them I have has a pressure sensitive trigger switch that gives instant on/off. The globes are LED's and the best one out atm is the Cree XP something or other. Check out candle power forums if you want to know all there is to know about these flashlights

Rent one, they're a little over a $100 for a day here....if there's 3 of you working it you'll split over 25T in a good day no problem......cheaper than owning one and doing a ton here and a ton there.

I was going to buy one, but since I can split everything I need for 2 years in one day I decided it wasn't worth it, plus my trailers been stolen so have to get another one of those....

Firewood isn't really the in thing around here, wouldn't surprise me if nobody hires them out in the area.

what type of rifle mounted spot light do you use if you use one
Who me? going off my pic's? nah only thing I send home to its maker are ferals and the neighbours dogs...That big old Tawny frogmouth in my pics has been getting moths off my verandah for years...I may have left the back door open one night many moons ago and he run amok inside I awoke to all the commotion thinking what the hell is in here? and out to get me!... for a few minutes that night I believed in vampires! hahaha.......

705298f8611c052af21c986ac7b639b0.jpg

Has anyone else tried the husky axes out? I got a hold of one a week ago and been putting it through the paces. They are similar to the fiskars with a fiber reinforced plastic handle. It does swing nicely and no vibration in the handle when you hit with it. I have split some iron bark with it and it does the job very well. Had a few chops with it answered it does the job. The one thing that I do like with this is the flat back on the head for hitting wedges, it doesn't stuff up the alloy wedges we use for falling trees like the fiskars do and once you find the sweet spot for hitting wedges it does drive them in. We have been abusing this one at work all week and still haven't broken the handle. So far it is getting the thumbs up from our crew.

Has anyone else tried the husky axes out? I got a hold of one a week ago and been putting it through the paces. They are similar to the fiskars with a fiber reinforced plastic handle. It does swing nicely and no vibration in the handle when you hit with it. I have split some iron bark with it and it does the job very well. Had a few chops with it answered it does the job. The one thing that I do like with this is the flat back on the head for hitting wedges, it doesn't stuff up the alloy wedges we use for falling trees like the fiskars do and once you find the sweet spot for hitting wedges it does drive them in. We have been abusing this one at work all week and still haven't broken the handle. So far it is getting the thumbs up from our crew.
I bought the shorter version a year back. Same thoughts, good for pounding wedges and being a bit smaller the kids/gf could use it.
Got replaced with a hart for wedge pounding duties and isn't all that for a splitter as its too short.
The one you bought looks the goods.

Nice few Spotted Gums and maybe a debarked red ironbark in the background? looks to have been growing in hard going with the lack of sapwood on the gum would be nice timber to mill slower growing always is...
The old man has always said spotted gum sapwood makes the best axe handles?..
As for the husky axe never used one our seen one but looks hell of a lot better than the fiskars good for nothing thingamajiggy there to light for Aussie hardwood IMHO.... That husky axe looks the goods to me will have to get one to try....

Looks the same as the fiskars that I have except for the back of the head. If its anything like the fiskars it should be good

They must have had some they couldn't give away with there saws :), I spoke with our hands on product trainer today about the new style Stihl ones coming out next month and they have an even better balance point then either the fiskars or husky one. Was going to try his but already had 3 pints of double hopped IPA so I thought using splitting tools wasn't the best idea. Will let you know how it goes when I get one. I first got a fiskars x27 being 6'4"+ the extra handle length helped, then the distributor started selling helko splitters too so I got one too and even though having the shorter handle I actually use it more. Only thing is the head doesn't go through to the back so no hitting in wedges with it

Back