Lawn mower lift?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANewSawyer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am thinking I want to buy a mower lift. One of the blades came loose on my mower today. Kinda scary but I think I got the blade hung on something. Not a big problem except that I can't get at the blades with my impact driver to tighten the nut. I also want to inspect just in case there is damage. I could get a couple of buddies to pick the front and set it on a couple jack stands. That may not be high enough though. This is just a standard cheap lawn mower. I doubt it weighs very much at all. Safety is my number one concern. Crushed by a mower is a dumb way to go. Suggestions?

You can buy easy-to-use, manual lifts from Northern Tool. They have one for garden tractors and one for ZTR type mowers.

There is TC close to me. They carry a cheap ($149) Pro lift. Spotty hydralics but that is true of EVERY hydralic lift I have looked at. The manual lift from Northern is my fav but I would have have it shipped to the store. Doesn't help me this weekend. I do have a coupon though...

Ramps are a good option but I don't have a truck or anywhere to hook them.

Floor jack.

An impact driver isn't going to have enough power, most those quill bolts are tightened to 80-100ft lbs.

That China Freight jack is on sale 89.99 in the flyer I got last week. We looked at buying it for the shop.

At home I just use a floor jack or drive my mower to the shop (maybe a mile drive). IMO not worth getting that special jack unless you are always working on lawn tractors, ATVs, etc.

I use a normal 1/2" drive air impact wrench and give it a few good hits of the trigger.

Not sure what kind of mower you have but I use this technique on my zero turns and I think it would work on any rider... i drive the front wheels into my tractor bucket and raise it up.. If you have a tractor or skid loader?

20150603_174427.jpg It can be raised higher if needed. I suppose something could be put under the bucket if your gonna have your head under there for any reason.

Back