climbing advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlfanboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got alot of climbing gear off a friend last year including a set of old at@t cable man spikes and the old school belt harness. Got an ash tree down along my back feild and my neighbors construction yard. Don't wanna risk dropping it in his driveway and down have a strong enough rope to pull it tords my feild. So I thought I'd try climbing it. Looking for advise on climbing. Or some good videos maybe. Worked for years as a scaffold builder and meny hours in manlifts. My uncle also use to be a climber for penline so might have him come watch. Just wanna take the tree down in maybe 3 or 4 sections. Ash tree in a fence row about 45 feet tall with a little lean in the way I don't want it to go. Got the old ms170 with the 14inch bar nice and sharp and hoping that will do. If I don't feel good in the tree I might just push it over with one of the laws but I'd like to learn to climb...

Got alot of climbing gear off a friend last year including a set of old at@t cable man spikes and the old school belt harness. Got an ash tree down along my back feild and my neighbors construction yard. Don't wanna risk dropping it in his driveway and down have a strong enough rope to pull it tords my feild. So I thought I'd try climbing it. Looking for advise on climbing. Or some good videos maybe. Worked for years as a scaffold builder and meny hours in manlifts. My uncle also use to be a climber for penline so might have him come watch. Just wanna take the tree down in maybe 3 or 4 sections. Ash tree in a fence row about 45 feet tall with a little lean in the way I don't want it to go. Got the old ms170 with the 14inch bar nice and sharp and hoping that will do. If I don't feel good in the tree I might just push it over with one of the laws but I'd like to learn to climb...
Cheap advice for what its worth. Those climbers made for the ATT guys to use are made for pole climbing, not trees. There is no bark on a pole so the gaffs find wood immediately. They are simply way too short to be safe on most trees. The bark on an ash is thick enough that the entire gaff will be in the bark and fail to penetrate into any solid wood. If you are going to climb, get a proper set that are made for tree climbing.
Yes, I did climb for ATT for about 18 months.

Alot of tree guys use pole gaffs, just kick it in a little harder. I would be more worried about using the belt than the gaffs.

That belt doesn't have an anchor point to tie your climb line into you need to be tied in twice, they only have a flipline or most likely an old buckstrap.

T.I.T.S=Tie In Twice Stupid.

Sorry for the quick derail. We need a 'fail' section or 'what were they thinking'. Only for insane pics that are tree/saw related like the one above.

My advice, and this kept me alive through 3 deployments to Iraq. If it don't feel right don't do it. Good luck.

There's a newer style harnesses in there with the d ring. I also have my costume fit harnesses to if that would work. There's alot in that box. Anchor straps, lot's of rope. He says he used it for years to cut down trees...

I'm getting older but when I climb now I don't leave the ground without the rope placement and retrieval tool called the sidekick that I have found invaluable in placing ropes (precisely where you need them) to effect an effecient, safer take down. also great for establishing secondary tie-in points and freeing up stuck monkey fists and throw cords. Am now 64 and still lovin' it---but wish I was younger.

Yes, start off with the right equipment. My first climbing rig was also the wrong harness. Fortunately I learned better before I ever used it, but I was out 25 bucks!
Lots of great video on youtube - you can learn just about anything there. Get a few books as well, ("How to climb a tree" - I think that's Jef Jepson). Tree rigging is another important skill.

Above all, stay safe! Common sense can go a long way, but proper education and training can go so much further.

Ive not done a lot of climbing but enough to know what its about and to genuinely respect those who are climbers. I think the best advice to be given is if you are asking online advice for your first climb.....keep your feet on the ground. Just my very humble opinion.

I would say to have your uncle come check the gear out and help you decide your plan. Make sure you know your knots before you leave the ground, go up there, tie a pull line in, come back down and fall the tree.

Ive not done a lot of climbing but enough to know what its about and to genuinely respect those who are climbers. I think the best advice to be given is if you are asking online advice for your first climb.....keep your feet on the ground. Just my very humble opinion.

Ill agree with that IF you are planning to wreck, drop, top or what ever the tree. That being said, I learned a whole lot from some forums, mainly the search bar... And a lot from youtube, and the tree climbers companion. Of course I spent about a month tying knots and researching before i ever threw a line in a tree and tried to hook up to it. Heck even then I had someone who knew what they were doing walking me through it. All in all if your not sure your capable hire someone else to do it. Loosing out on a little money for the EXP and being alive to do the next job is always first priority. If your serious about learning to climb, hire a skilled climber who will show you the ropes. It may just save your life, and will make the learning much more enjoyable. Good luck and may all your tie-in be secure.

This may help with the spurs, but even with my lack of expertise id definitely go with a flipline designed for arborists. May have been mentioned as i havent read the complete thread. Also checkout www.climbingarborist.com and of course a million youtube videos :laugh: the TCC and other arborist/climbing specific reads that are available at most climbing gear related sponsors on here.. Wespur & my fav, TreeStuff.com. But be careful, you'll soon contract CGAD (climbing gear acquisition disorder). A very serious condition and near deadly (to the wallet and bank account) when contracted along with CAD. Just log on an select 2 of everything a site has to the shopping cart, add in your CC number, click submit and youre done! That easy!!

Btw, if your married, beware of certain consequences, im not sure if there is a book or reference out yet that covers that sorta subject.

Latest posts

Back