Becoming An ISA Certified Arborist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kram

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Husky, one of the best book I have is called "Arboriculture. Integrated Management Of Landscape Trees, Shrubs, and Vine" by Richard W. Harris and is considered the bible of Arboriculture. Get that book and you're be among a rich source of knowledge:)

<<<<so I guess I would have some On The Job Knowledge>>>>

Any kind of knowledge you learn off the job comes from the books cept the experience but it really pays to know the terminology from studying Arboriculture.
Another thing you can do for the preparation of your test is to hit the nursery after work 2 or 3 times a week and study botanical names of all the trees in your region, leaf margins, bark ID, shapes formation , etc., you're pass with flying colors on that subject. Good luck. :)

Contact your chapter for the tree ID master list. Ask how it will be givem, eg winter bud, rycher mount...

I was walking in the older part of the city with a budd, looking for WI state champs, we were doing a lot of "What the hell is that? izzit a ....no...maybe a...oh I know what it is, have you got it yet?"

We might be going around and doing some measuring to verify and update, take some pic's.

RFS

after i got my degree (in countryside manangement) i studied towards my royal forestry societies certificate in arb while paying my way through my chainsaw and climbibg courses, its a similar course but doesnt have the ID section, it really helped me in both my knowledge and ability to gain employment....im after the ISA but im a bit skint at the moment.......

id say go for it and get the latin down, over here i know that they offer multiple choice for the ID, dunno what they do stateside

jamie

I think the whole test is multiple choice. You can go to the ISA website and read about it.

Kurt

Yes it is all mulitple chioce. Like Brian said they use local fresh samples, most were a 2-3foot long branch. I got the list of trees to study for the test and it must have had 150 trees on it, many I had never heard of. You must really have a good working knowledge of the local trees, I think books are the wrong way to study for that part of the test.
Greg

200 multiple guess including 10 on ID. We had pictures for ID at my test a couple years ago. From a distance, just able to see enough detail to be able to ID if you are reasonably capable. Harris is a good reference and course guide was helpful.

Husky, one of the best book I have is called "Arboriculture. Integrated Management Of Landscape Trees, Shrubs, and Vine" by Richard W. Harris and is considered the bible of Arboriculture. Get that book and you're be among a rich source of knowledge:)
Yes, I love that book very good reading and reading rinse repeat more reading lol :p

I took the test in Homestead, FL in 2003. 200 multiple guess questions. Hungover from all the cervezas I drank the night before. In Homestead, FL, beers are called cervezas. If memory serves me, like 1/2 the questions are from the manual, verbatim. Memorize the questions/answers in the manual. If I can pass it, anybody can. I'm certified and I don't know the difference between a palm tree and a pine tree.

Y'all be thankful that the ISA only certifies arborists, (and not dentists)

The horror.

My wife is a hygienist. I showed her that video. Her jaw was on the ground haha

Why is that book so expensive? I'd like to get one but , geez

You haven't had a kid go to university yet have you?

All reference books are expensive.

Nope , Besides being actively involved in Arboriculture and all aspects of tree work , I'm a Registered Nurse so I know COSTS!! I decided to have children at an older age. AT 45 my oldest is just 10.

I wouldn't spend a lot of time on the tree ID, I think it is only worth 10%. If they are using live branches, they would need to be fresh samples. Make sure you know all of the trees in the landscape around the test site.

I wouldn't spend a lot of time on the tree ID, I think it is only worth 10%. If they are using live branches, they would need to be fresh samples. Make sure you know all of the trees in the landscape around the test site.

I just took the ISA test (April 11-2015) and there is no specific tree ID. There are tree ID questions and definition of types/ shapes of tree but not tree branch/ leaf samples or anything like that.

Latest posts

Back