Japanese Fern Tree - Bark Damage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Rod

Reaction score
About a month ago I purchased and installed a 15 foot Japanse Fern Tree (filicium decipiens, sample pic below) in my front yard. The tree had some bark damage when I purchased it, but nothing that appeared major.

But since then I've noticed that the chunks of the dark outer bark continue to fall off the tree, now in several different places, exposing the light fleshy bark underneath. I can sometimes see very tiny white bugs inside the bark. These bugs do not look like termites.

It's very hot here in South Florida, so I've soaked the tree with water everyday to keep the root ball moist. The leaves appear to be ok and there is some new growth on the tree. I don't think I'm underwatering.

Does anyone have experience with a similar issue? I don't think this is normal, but I'm not experienced enough to know for sure. Could the bugs be causing the bark to fall off, or is the tree is sick and the bugs are just taking advantage? I've thought about spraying the tree with pesticide but I'm worried that the chemicals might also damage the tree.

japanese-fern-tree-in-yard.jpg

Back