Want to try srt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seedling345

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
There may be a thread that I could not find about it but I want to try srt but see a couple of saddle made for srt does it really matter if it does can someone explain why I have a buckingham double floating d and I threw a top over the lowest limb and used a vt on a single rope without much luck with no ascenders or fancy gear but I know I'm not going to use a vt my question is do I really need a saddle made for srt? I didn't really have any problems balancing or nothin so what's so spechial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Srt is gear intensive, you will need some srt device to do it properly. You'll soon realize ascenders are needed and save a lot of effort.

Special saddle? No.
To ascend your VT is fine and if you can footlock you're set. It's descending and working srt that gets to be a little gear intensive. A srt devise takes a good bit of the friction away from your hitch. With out one your hitch will bind tight and you'll burn up a hitch cord in a hurry or just get stuck in mid air. The ascenders make the tree ( and ascending) workable. You can do a lot with just a basic set up and a few extra biners.

Special saddle? No.
To ascend your VT is fine and if you can footlock you're set. It's descending and working srt that gets to be a little gear intensive. A srt devise takes a good bit of the friction away from your hitch. With out one your hitch will bind tight and you'll burn up a hitch cord in a hurry or just get stuck in mid air. The ascenders make the tree ( and ascending) workable. You can do a lot with just a basic set up and a few extra biners.
Srt device?? Like a rope runner or rope wrench or somethin of the sort? And why does srt climbing put more friction on you hitch? And foot locking looks simple enough (I know it won't be simple) but don't have a proper sling for it.

Rope wrench and hitch hiker are the only two I'm familiar with. It puts more friction and wieght on the hitch because it's a single line carrying the load. In Ddrt both legs of rope share the load.

Sorry, I keep thinkin' that anyone wanting to try SRT will also work the tree SRT. Best way IMHO. Prusik cord will heat and bind up on you during a descent without a load sharing device such as a figure 8 or rope wrench, hitch hiker.

Sorry, I keep thinkin' that anyone wanting to try SRT will also work the tree SRT. Best way IMHO. Prusik cord will heat and bind up on you during a descent without a load sharing device such as a figure 8 or rope wrench, hitch hiker.
You are right with your assumption once I get proper equipment and get the feel for it I do plan to work the tree srt but I want to be comfortable with it. And it seems I have a pretty pricy transfer on my hands and thanks for explaining why it causes more friction both of you

What are you climbing with now?

When I climbed DdRT I had a hitch climber setup on arbormaster 16 strand and a foot ascender. Bought a hitch hiker, sewn up a leather and webbing tending strap, got some vortex rope, a knee ascender which I put together for rope walking, and sewn up a simple neck loop for tending.

I have a arbor master with a cmi pullie and a 9mm rit e2e in a vt I have a 200 foot hank of velocity but don't like the 11 mm lines so I just keep that in the tree bag incase heaven forbid I'm the subject of an Ariel rescue my 4 d ring saddle and velocity are there for our groundie (all of us have to practice it once a month or so) but my saddle is a buckingham double floating d

Pick a srt device, foot ascender and you will be ahead of what you are doing now. Get a knee ascender, some sort of tending system and you will fly up the rope. Switch to the velocity and you'll forget you have a tail.

I have the HH also. A short loop runner for a neck loop works well with the tether I bought from Treestuff. I bought the HH slightly used for $100 and the foot ascender and tether new, but I'm still below two bills in cost. A knee ascender will be coming shortly. I'm not climbing solely srt as I'm still new to it but I definatly can appreciate the benefits. If you ever get to see someone who is fluent in it, you'll see how easy traversing the canopy is

I was thinkin the rope wrench I've been watching some videos and the rw seems like a fairly simple set up I already have a hitch cord an pullie so I just need the wrench and tether. As far as a neck loop goes I read I can run my buckstrap over my shoulder and clip it to the pullie(seems legit) but we will see I might just buy the rw kit from tree stuff that comes with every thing as far as I know

That'll work. They also have a chest harness that's about $15. I bought one but haven't used it yet so I can't give you my opinion on it. If my house doesn't float away with all this rain we got coming this weekend I'll try to give it a shot. RW will be less costly since you already have a hitch climber system

f1ac6291030339aecc8ca3647907c57d.jpg

I noticed they show the rw set up with a hitch climber pullie will my pullie work or will I need the three holes of the hitch climber pullie

I'm a hitchhiker guy, pricepoint, compact and simple is what sold me. No idea about the RW, though I might get one some day.

I think it'll work but I'm not positive. You'll have your eye-2-eye , RW tether, and tending tether all hooked to one point. Kinda congested. At risk of making someone mad I'd recomend checking on another site that rhymes with free fuzz. They have a srt forum

I think it'll work but I'm not positive. You'll have your eye-2-eye , RW tether, and tending tether all hooked to one point. Kinda congested. At risk of making someone mad I'd recomend checking on another site that rhymes with free fuzz. They have a srt forum
I was thinkin the same thing about it getting cluttered I should prolly just buy the right pullie

Latest posts

Back