Amateur taking too big of a top?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I've had some new guys asking to take the top every couple feet because they were scared to go higher. Also taken them that big before without any problems but always go smaller these days. Even good grounder seem to lock stuff up from time to time. I guess it looks scary when it's coming down at you.

He was cutting out of his power zone. Looks about shoulder or head level. Also looks like he had 1 hand on the saw. Once the top started to fall he should have shut off the saw and engaged the break.

Also, tying a turner kit is a sure way to lose whatever limb/appendage is below where it was tied. Last resort, and best to tie directly above the cut, and not way above the cut. Otherwise, direct pressure. I'm not sure how bad he was bleeding or cut. Not sure if he lost his hand. I'm just hoping he survived and has a speedy recovery.

Sounds scary.

The whole operation was comprised of amateurs, from the climber (possibly the biggest amateur, clearly no chainsaw skills) to the rest of the "crew." I'm pretty sure they were using steel cable with a choker to rig that top (listen at 0:26 he says "gotta make sure the cable is not in my way"); who knows what the hell they had it hooked to; there's no way it was on a lowering device. Aside from the obvious issue that these guys tackled a project that was way over their head, what the hell is wrong with homeowners who hire guys like this? Honestly it's an insult to the profession. You can't blame knuckleheads like this for wanting to go out and a make a few bucks, but for someone to entrust the safety of their home/property with a bunch of goons to save a little bit of money really chaffs at me. I hate to admit it, but any time I lose a job to a "fly-by-nighter" (because their price was way lower) and I notice a broken fence or window after the fact (have seen it a few times), it's hard for me to feel bad for the homeowner. It's really refreshing when you get customers that respect the arborist/treework profession, and don't choose a contractor solely based on price. One of the best feelings is when I contract a job in a multi-bid situation, and I know that I came in higher than another/other bidder(s).

Another mistake not pointed out yet was that the rigging line was ran the same way the top fell and increased the shock load. If the rigging line was ran to the base of the tree the ride would have been marginally less traumatic. If the rigging like was opposite the way he dropped the top he would have had a shake but the tree would not have sprung nearly as far.

Latest posts

Back