Best way to store a trimmer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkEagleUSA

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I got involved in a discussion about the best way to store a trimmer yesterday. This guy was saying powerhead down or horizontal to prevent "flooding the engine". I've always hung them vertically with the powerhead up and have never had a problem other the leaky fuel caps.

So... what do y'all think?

Dump the fuel from the machine. Store it anyway you want. That's how Stihl recommends you store any piece of OPE for a long period of time.

If it's over a period of just a few days? It really doesn't matter. I usually go horizontal on the shop floor

Years ago I bought a bracket from Home Depot that stores trimmers PH up. Since the carb is higher than the tank I have never had a problem.
That's what I've always done as well. Only trouble I ever had was a leaky fuel cap. Occasionally, fuel will drip from the cap breather, especially in warmer weather.

I never liked laying a trimmer on the floor... too easy to damage in my opinion.

I have several pieces of OPE on my shop floor. I have been thinking that I need to make some kind of stand to hold them. Maybe a rack on the bottom to hold the trimmer horizontaly?

We store them power head down at the shop. Just have a small log hanging off the ceiling and hang them off the guard.

Have a good dozen plus on the rack right now.

I dont dump the fuel until winter but I have only been using the ethanol free premix fuel in all my equipment.
If I do mix my own I always use stabil in it

I thought most trimmers like being stored in an air conditioned room with plenty of barley pops.

One rainy Sunday I got tired of the 2 stroke clutter, decided to make something to hold em up.
Went to my local Home Depot, they had special weedeater hooks for $15 or so (I needed 10+ racks) $150 to hand up some weedeaters was out of the question, so I kept digging.
Found some screw in the wall hooks for $7 a piece, better but I can do cheaper.
Finally I walked down the screw/nail isle, I found these huge galvanized nails used for gutters I believe. $0.50 ea.
grabbed 20 of em.
Grabbed a 10' peice of 2x6 $3
Grabbed 5 heavy duty 3.5" screws. $2
Total->$16 after tax
Plus I had a gift card-sweet.

Hung the 2x6 up with the 5 screws and my impact gun. Right into the studs of the shed.
Measured a couple times and figure that I could hang 10 weedeaters on this 10' board evenly spaced.
Predrilled holes and pounded in the nails. 30 mins later I had this.
Not the prettiest but It does its job.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 53
Back