Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is your laptop underpowered? If you're not afraid to experiment a little, download and install a Linux operating system distro. Try Xubuntu if you're real familiar with Windows. I have it on my laptop and love it. It's made for older/underpowered computers. A resource minimalist operating system unlike Windows. It's also fairly virus resistant. Totally free too. You can install it on your computer in another partition and still keep Windows just in case you don't like it. It may resurrect your old laptop and keep some cash in your pocket to buy more saw stuff.

I started using a trackball mouse about 3-4 years ago because I was starting to develop pain in my wrist (it wasn't from any type of repetitive jerking motions). At first it's a bit awkward but now I LOVE it. You have to try one. I'm with you on a full sized keyboard. Just like the feel of them.

Edit: Or try out Zorin OS. I've never personally tried it but I heard it's setup to be a Windows clone. Only distros I have experience with is Ubuntu, Xubuntu, and Lubuntu. Ubuntu looked way too goofy for me. Lubuntu is even less resource hungry than Xubuntu but I find it to be a little more challenging for newbies.
My laptop is set up for a dual boot to either windows or Ubuntu. If I do nothing it times out and goes to Windows but if I select Ubuntu it goes there. If you already have Windows and are familiar with it, the various Linux based products can be confusing. They simply do not operate the same way so what you expect to happen when you do something may not be what happens. Actually the Linux OSs are not virus resistant to any real extent but very few people writing a virus code bother with Linux because so few people use it. If you want to be a hero to other virus writers, you need to cause lots of folks trouble. Its hard to do that on a platform that is not as widely used. Similar claims are made for the Apple OS for a similar reason. Nobody bothers to write a virus that will affect so few machines.

I still don't know how those guys from the central part of the country can work outside all day in high humidity with denim overalls on.... I have spent time in Florida during the summer and the heat didn't bother me if you are dressed appropriately and drink lots of fluids. But denim? It's like the worst summer fabric ever made!
i don't think "bermuda shorts" would cut it baling hay.:laugh: besides it's just in our jeans.[sic]:crazy2:

Damn, a hillbilly in GA is a Linux pro. Xubuntu is still too much for you laptop? I resurrected several old and slow laptops with that distro.

Oh I have run lotsa distros in the past. Sorta settled down once I had one good enough, which this is. I'm on limited cellular bandwith, so don't fool around trying this or that any more.

Actually I am hoping the docking stations get a little better and cheaper, would love to just come home and slide the phone into one and have full size everything from it.

It is overcast and breezy here today. hopefully it will stay that way so I can split some wood. The mosquitos are so bad because of all the rain we have got. I was out mowing yesterday and there were some of the largest mosquitos I have ever seen. They were the size of my thumb nail.

Bugs are brutal here this year. Some years bad, some years moderate. Weeding in the garden is a mid day thing, early morning or late evening when it is cooler, nope, you get chewed up bad.

But..you learn to deal with it, this or that chore at this or that time for best results.

Nice and cool 84 here yesterday. The humidity has been low most of the summer so far. I was able to mow the grass finally. I also sprayed my grapes, fruit trees and ornamental tress for bugs but namely the awful Japanese beetle. Darn beetle just wont go away and just hammers the grapes and trees. I keep spraying but it doesn't seem to bother or slow them down. I treated the entire yard this year with grub/beetle killer which helped but when the neighbor doesn't do anything and has them as well there is only so much I can do. I still have to plant the new trees that I picked up this weekend but there is still some debate as to where the maple is going to be located. My wife doesn't want the leaves in the yard. I told here I will run them over with the lawn mower until they go away which is what I usually do anyways with the other trees.

I also restacked 1/2 of my last stack that fell over in the spring. I am almost done restacking which means soon I can split and stack the new stuff that I have and then get my scrounge on.... finally.

My good deed has been rewarded. I swept an older guy's chimney because he can no longer safely climb up his roof and was short on cash to pay a chimney sweep. His log splitter is sitting in my driveway now to make short work out of all the rounds I've scrounged. Says I can borrow it anytime I want. Also have my Permethrin spray ready to treat my clothes and only have one more day of work this week. Going to do a marathon scrounge session from Thursday to Sunday and line my whole driveway up with rounds, split them all, and be done with scrounging until the weather cools off.

My laptop is set up for a dual boot to either windows or Ubuntu. If I do nothing it times out and goes to Windows but if I select Ubuntu it goes there. If you already have Windows and are familiar with it, the various Linux based products can be confusing. They simply do not operate the same way so what you expect to happen when you do something may not be what happens. Actually the Linux OSs are not virus resistant to any real extent but very few people writing a virus code bother with Linux because so few people use it. If you want to be a hero to other virus writers, you need to cause lots of folks trouble. Its hard to do that on a platform that is not as widely used. Similar claims are made for the Apple OS for a similar reason. Nobody bothers to write a virus that will affect so few machines.

Very true. I'm setup for dual boot as well. I installed Xubuntu last night over Lubuntu. My wife is only familiar with Windows and finds Xubuntu much easier to navigate.

Oh I have run lotsa distros in the past. Sorta settled down once I had one good enough, which this is. I'm on limited cellular bandwith, so don't fool around trying this or that any more.

Actually I am hoping the docking stations get a little better and cheaper, would love to just come home and slide the phone into one and have full size everything from it.

If you're bored, please send me a PM with your thoughts concerning the various distros.

I think it's kinda funny how cell phones are getting bigger and bigger. I remember my aunt having one of those big brick phones in the 90s I guess. Thought it was so cool having the ability to make a phone call away from home. Then it seemed like the race was on to make smaller, more powerful phones. Now the suckers are getting bigger and bigger. Some of the models can barely fit in your pocket. Men will start wearing man purses soon just to carry their phones.

Latest posts

Back