MS201T Impressions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treehugger45459

Reaction score
Bought a new 201 and was disappointed to find out that it was not a M-Tronic saw. The Stihl website has a saw comparison chart that shows the 201 is M-Tronic. Turns out that the M-Tronic version of the saw is not yet available. Had trouble with the saw on the second tank of fuel which is when I discovered that I hadn't bought what I thought. Yeh, I'm stupid. Had several email exchanges with Stihl tech rep who informed me that saws of serial number 177543232 and above, already have the carb and timing mods installed. The saw worked well for the first tank of fuel. When cutting in the horizontal direction, the saw ran out of fuel. After filling the tank, I could not get the saw restarted. Finally I got it started on partial throttle but it would not idle. Long story short, I think that the fuel pickup was not at the bottom of the tank and maybe there was air in the fuel line. It took many tries of getting the saw to run and then running very roughly until the thing finally ran well again. I had to tuck the fuel pickup down into the bottom of the tank. Since then, the saw has been running well. I'm pretty happy with this saw. One odd thing that I also learned from the tech rep was that the owners manual settings for the carb are wrong for my saw. It states that the low speed screw is set to open 1 turn. My doesn't even have that much adjustment. It's 1/4 turn open.

Bought a new 201 and was disappointed to find out that it was not a M-Tronic saw. The Stihl website has a saw comparison chart that shows the 201 is M-Tronic. Turns out that the M-Tronic version of the saw is not yet available. Had trouble with the saw on the second tank of fuel which is when I discovered that I hadn't bought what I thought. Yeh, I'm stupid. Had several email exchanges with Stihl tech rep who informed me that saws of serial number 177543232 and above, already have the carb and timing mods installed. The saw worked well for the first tank of fuel. When cutting in the horizontal direction, the saw ran out of fuel. After filling the tank, I could not get the saw restarted. Finally I got it started on partial throttle but it would not idle. Long story short, I think that the fuel pickup was not at the bottom of the tank and maybe there was air in the fuel line. It took many tries of getting the saw to run and then running very roughly until the thing finally ran well again. I had to tuck the fuel pickup down into the bottom of the tank. Since then, the saw has been running well. I'm pretty happy with this saw. One odd thing that I also learned from the tech rep was that the owners manual settings for the carb are wrong for my saw. It states that the low speed screw is set to open 1 turn. My doesn't even have that much adjustment. It's 1/4 turn open.

Send it to Brad( Blsnelling) & for $50 & shipping you'll get a saw that has excellent throttle response & breathes better.

Brad ordered a 201M Tronic from his Stihl dealer in Middletown when he did the carb vs Mtronic 201T builds about 4-5 weeks ago.

They are also available here

You have a great saw, it just needs a little help. On the other hand, your dealer fed you a line. The MS201TC is most definitely available. I have bought and modded several of them for other members. Send me a PM if you'd like to get yours modded. There's nothing wrong with the non-MTronic version. If anything, it ends up a hair stronger after mods, although the difference is negligible. As far as the carb adjustments, yours has limiters on the needles. I remove those as part of the mods.

Send it to brad , you wont be disappointed.

Mine at over 178xxxxxx runs great , I opened the muffler is all .

Sorry you got boned on what you thought was the 'tronic.
I'm another Brad Snelling - modded 201T happy camper. Do it. Can't imagine you having any regrets afterward.

If your dealer specifically told you it was m-tronic, then you should go get it exchanged or your money back. In the future, just look at the model plate, it should say MS201TC, then look at the Air filter/handle on the right side and make sure the adjustment screws aren't there. The m-tronics aren't available nationwide yet. We still don't have them.

If your dealer specifically told you it was m-tronic, then you should go get it exchanged or your money back. In the future, just look at the model plate, it should say MS201TC, then look at the Air filter/handle on the right side and make sure the adjustment screws aren't there. The m-tronics aren't available nationwide yet. We still don't have them.
My dealer didn't say anything about M-Tronic and I didn't ask. Can't blame them. The website showed the saw to be M-Tronic and I "assumed" I was buying what the Stihl website was advertising. I should have been a better informed buyer. I want to use the saw more (still on tank #2) and determine if I'm satisfied with it's performance before having it modified. Now if Stihl wants to make me an offer to exchange my saw for the M-Tronic, that would be nice ;-)

Back