What Would It Be Like If We Were All In A Logging Camp Together?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was nice of you to try and save BA.View attachment 433785

In reality that scene was shot in a huge tank of water in an all night shooting. That was during Paul's heavy drinking days. He said later that they drank an entire case of scotch shooting that scene, and no one was drunk. It must have been brutal shooting.

Windthrown..... I doubt Brush Ape would show up but if he does it could get real entertaining real quick. Start him off in the rigging.

The possibilities are endless. You could tell him you were going to change roads and have him pack a block clear to the back end. Big block. He doesn't know anything about logging so he'd never tumble to the fact that the new block could have been sent down on the rigging. Tell him to hustle it up too. When he gets back to the landing tell him he took the wrong block and you need it back on the landing. Quickly. When he gets back from that trip give him another block, without a pin in it, a bigger one this time, and tell him that he's holding up the whole damn show and he better get a move on. When he comes staggering back up the hill to the landing from his latest adventure show him the pin for the block and ask him what kind of dummy takes a block out without a pin. Tell him that when he gets the pin in the block to just stay there and somebody will let him know what to do next. Send a radio with him this time.
When he gets back to the back end call him and tell him that he'll need a little Molly Hogan to hold the pin in and to wait until she shows up.
Turn your radio off.
Gather up the rest of the crew and go home. This works especially good on a Friday.

There are other things to do but this will be a good starter.

Well, assuming he makes it out of the logging camp, the crummy and to the yarding site, I would suspect we would tie him to the carriage and run him up and down the skyline a few dozen times. Then have him set chokers for a few hours. If he survives that, then have him haul a new skyline through the brush. I mean, give the brush ape a lesson in what that term means out here.

How about a job as the landing man on a helicopter side? Especially a busy side with short cycle times and lots of small wood. Bumping knots, bucking, branding, coiling chokers, making up choker bundles...all that good stuff. Have him show up the Monday after payday when some of the crew is still laying out from too much weekend fun.
He claims to be an athlete, we'll see if he likes to run. He'd probably be on his knees puking in the dirt before lunch. :laugh:

With a name of Brush Ape ,wouldn't he know what a choker or a block is if he knows the slang of Brush Ape ?

BRUSH APE
A logger, usually a chokerman. You'd better be smiling when you call a logger this name, or be a very good friend.

How about a job as the landing man on a helicopter side? Especially a busy side with short cycle times and lots of small wood. Bumping knots, bucking, branding, coiling chokers, making up choker bundles...all that good stuff. Have him show up the Monday after payday when some of the crew is still laying out from too much weekend fun.
He claims to be an athlete, we'll see if he likes to run. He'd probably be on his knees puking in the dirt before lunch. :laugh:

Ooooh, Helilogging. Makes yarding look easy... he claimed on that one thread to be a skilled 'feller' up and down the west coast, dropping huge old growth trees and all. He should be competition for that guy that claimed to have dropped 2 million trees in Canada. These guys, they are machines I tell you!

Ooooh, Helilogging. Makes yarding look easy... he claimed on that one thread to be a skilled 'feller' up and down the west coast, dropping huge old growth trees and all. He should be competition for that guy that claimed to have dropped 2 million trees in Canada. These guys, they are machines I tell you!
Holman Tree was a riot[emoji23]

Holman Tree was a riot[emoji23]

Yah, he really riled up Gary with his BS claims (which he still believes, BTW). 2 million trees, over 20 years, 100,000 trees a year. Working 50 weeks a year, no stopping a machine like him! That is 2,000 trees a week. Great Caesar's ghost! 5 day work week, that's 'only' 400 trees a day, or 50 trees an hour. Superman or the Flash would have a hard time doing that. He dropped an average of almost one tree a minute with time to spare to do everything else. No problemo. He has someone there sharpening his loops and gassing up a second saw while he cuts, and he has another person set up the fall lines and mark the trees for him, and no limbing is needed on these trees, nor cutting to length apparently. He is a machine, I tell you! They also all fell perfectly too. No pinched bars, no barber chairs, no hung trees in the canopy, no rotators or rollers, no exploders, no gushers, no Dutch cuts, they were all cut with perfection. Its amazing! No time for pounding in wedges either. And the bigger the wood, the faster the saws cut!

Yah, he really riled up Gary with his BS claims (which he still believes, BTW). 2 million trees, over 20 years, 100,000 trees a year. Working 50 weeks a year, no stopping a machine like him! That is 2,000 trees a week. Great Caesar's ghost! 5 day work week, that's 'only' 400 trees a day, or 50 trees an hour. Superman or the Flash would have a hard time doing that. He dropped an average of almost one tree a minute with time to spare to do everything else. No problemo. He has someone there sharpening his loops and gassing up a second saw while he cuts, and he has another person set up the fall lines and mark the trees for him, and no limbing is needed on these trees, nor cutting to length apparently. He is a machine, I tell you! They also all fell perfectly too. No pinched bars, no barber chairs, no hung trees in the canopy, no rotators or rollers, no exploders, no gushers, no Dutch cuts, they were all cut with perfection. Its amazing! No time for pounding in wedges either. And the bigger the wood, the faster the saws cut!

Production faller! :rolleyes: He finally admitted that most of his trees were about the size of grass stems but he got all pissy again when we told him to get rid of his saws and buy a weed-eater.

I think if I remember correctly the points or sumsuch where fouled up by the water. Willing to bet very little money that a modern saw would probably suffer the same fate about the time the magneto got into the water.
As long as you don't dunk the exhaust or intake yer good. I've got some time cutting in knee to waist deep water.

Latest posts

Back