JD 210c help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redfin

Fish & Chips!!!
Reaction score
I have an older 210 with shuttle shift. Over the course of the last week I noticed the machine didn't want to move forward or reverse very well. I didn't use the machine because I knew something wasn't right.

Yesterday I had to to dig a ditch so I just moved the machine with the hoe as I dug. Today, I completely drained the trans and refilled withh the correct fluid. I bought the vangaurd at napa.

I fired the machine and filled, it may be a tad high. The fluid that came out was pretty nasty. I tried using the machine and it moved forward and back correctly for about ten minutes and then the same symptoms appeared. I'm not quite sure what to do next. Any ideas?

I have ran the machine on and off today for about ten minutes at a time trying to push around the 100t of sandrock I had delievered.

I'm definately leaning toward the radiator for the trans fluid being blocked. Anyone know how I could verify this? And if it is blocked/clogged is there a fix or am I looking at a new core?

Welp I figured I would update to add to my confusion. Yesterday I went over to the house early to get a good ten minutes in moving stone around again and the the dang machine ran great for at least an hour. I have no idea what the deal is with this thing.

How does a shuttle transmission work? Are there clutch plates in there that maybe glazed over with the crap that I changed out? Running fresh fluid maybe cleaned them?

I'm not intimately familiar with a Deere 210C, but most shuttle transmissions are a transmission with a direction inverter/reverser that's attached on the front side of the transmission, and can be either attached on the shafts, usually the counter shaft or be of a planetary type completely isolated from the transmission.

If it's a shaft type, it uses a series of mechanical wet clutches to isolate the engine and transmission from the direction changer control pieces so they aren't subjected to torque while being shifted. What may have happened, in the worst case, is that you lost a clutch and all that nasty stuff is now in your trans fluid. If the backhoe is shifting hard forward/reverse that's probably your issue.

I'm unfortunately ASSuming here, but that's the best I can give you. If it's a planetary drive, which I wouldn't expect on a small backhoe manufactured in the 1980s, you probably have a totally different set of problems.

Thanks. I'm going to change filters and fluid again. It has been running great this week. I'm hoping it was just the nasty fluid.

Back