NO WHINING

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya, but it's not about how many trees you dump, its all about getting top dollars for said trees.
Sawlogs go to the sawmill, veneer goes to whoever pays the most and firewood goes to rural homeowners

I hear ya. I suppose hardwood would break a lot easier. In the soft woods defense, it isn't fallen into nice clean opening and ground though. It generally fallen along a steep grade, couple that into dodging old stumps to save it out, avoid brushing other tree's, placing it safely so it can be bucked, prevent runaway, and so you don't end up having to work under it later on. (I wouldn't either way) LOL. While do this being extremely aware of you footing. There is nothing worse then going to put a back cut in on a 75% grade and the ground giving out under your feet. There are a lot of lazy asses who take no risk and just send everything straight down the hill. How they still get work I don't know but they be breaking wood left and right. I'll take flat land any day. Unfortunately that's not the way it works here on the coast. Falling tree's is fun but sometimes the grades can make it not so fun. So I guess the real question is what is the dollar value of softwood to hardwood. I'd bet the hardwood is worth considerably more for some species but throw in the fact that the tree's are way smaller it is likely about even. Breaking wood is breaking wood whether your on flat clean ground or hazardous terrain. Fall a 250' spruce on a 60% and try not break it LOL talking a $65,000 tree all on it's own. CULL!!! LOL just razzing john. You know you'll always be a bud. I may be a prick to some of the eastern folk but I can get along with anyone. Come down for a beer. I'd come up but no time for vacations til the new year.

To follow your line of not to knock it unless you've tried it, you've never cut here. I never said cutting on the coast was easy or the same or whatever. I made no comparison at all. I just think that tape looks like a cheap piece of ****. You got all uppity and called everyone else on the continent a pansy. When are you doing all this timber falling if yer not certified? I'd love to cut big timber on steep ground, but I was born here and I've got a family I'm not moving. I'll bet I'd catch on pretty quick. Trees are trees. Saving out is saving out. Bucking order is bucking order. Layouts are layouts. I know there would be a big learning curve, but I'd get there. You on the other hand are not even cutting so I don't get where you come off calling everyone pansies.

To follow your line of not to knock it unless you've tried it, you've never cut here. I never said cutting on the coast was easy or the same or whatever. I made no comparison at all. I just think that tape looks like a cheap piece of ****. You got all uppity and called everyone else on the continent a pansy. When are you doing all this timber falling if yer not certified? I'd love to cut big timber on steep ground, but I was born here and I've got a family I'm not moving. I'll bet I'd catch on pretty quick. Trees are trees. Saving out is saving out. Bucking order is bucking order. Layouts are layouts. I know there would be a big learning curve, but I'd get there. You on the other hand are not even cutting so I don't get where you come off calling everyone pansies.

Plenty of cutting to be done as long as I'm not doing it for money. I've been currently getting experience up catarpe mountain working for some of the natives on their land who are certified. Steep ground. Way more difficult to lay wood out safety while keeping it all in one piece. Imagine ****ing it up by a few meters and end up with the decision of taking the risk to work under it later or having the log teeter on an old stump or having one end roll and the other end shoot for the skies when being bucked. A lot of guys get killed because of things moving downhill. I never said anyone was a pansy. Just said I know some pansy ass mofo's who had no problem working the flatlands. I thought the work was easy going until I got on a significant grade. at that point i realized why people called it hardwork because before it just seemed easy and nothing to whine about.

k8W1TFLzYQr-LzhrS6ndtxQNgaTNvW5OO-v-BcVwGqQ=w1223-h917-no

UI_arqF8Fih7dcMVz25k0mW7wtaUFibOGUNcyXssOKA=w1223-h917-no

A little over a year , not used like a full time logger would , I'm still looking for my other one that has the other type of hook , while it worked well, the nail is more secure..

Theres plenty of steep short ground in the smokies and Appalachians. They are similar to the west coast mtns, but everything is smaller. Thanks to father time... yeah, its not difficult to powerbuck poplar & white pine on the east coast. The foremost concern is getting forks to hit together. Ive cut black walnut that would slab in two even with the forks landing proper. Trees back east are shorter, so they fall alot faster. Not really an issue, but it can present problems. Its kind of like racing your car @ one track, then racing somewhere different. Changes will need to be made, but its still the same deal.. one thing ill say, if a guy can work with much efficiency, hes gonna get more done on a daily basis out west. A proficient cutter in hardwood country has to put forth more effort for less yeild, Smaller trees.... I dont know how they do it with their 20" bars.... slowly, & about 19" at a time i guess...

Latest posts

Back