DOL OSHA rules for employing minors to split firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

#angrymom

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can someone please clarify if minors are allowed to operate or assist in using a log splitter? Local OSHA office said it was a gray area. Waiting to hear from the DOL....any input greatly appreciated. We are located in Ohio.

Last time I read anything on this subject it was set up as 18 to be able to run any power equipment- that hasn't changed on the commercial side. When this was enacted it played havoc with the industrial arts classes at the Jr and Sr High schools essentially shutting them down. I believe now that it is some 20 years later things are swinging back to the days of yore on the education side, but not on the commercial side- liability issues. For a time it was so bad that even your own children on your own property were forbidden to operate any power equipment if under x age after that till 18 only with personal supervision. That still applies _ not that I agree with any of this but then I grew up in an different era and not a city slicker. Problem now is that as parents you have to abide by the law- if something happens then the skys open and it won't be rain falling on you from the governmental agencies that think they know better. It is unfortunate ( or perhaps by design) that the bulk of our offspring are being dumbed down and not taught how to fend for themselves.

Thank you. I did get a response from DOL. Actually on your own property they have no control over whether a minor operates a splitter or not. They have been much better to work with. I don't agree with 'policing' children working hard at home but I strongly agree with the regulations at work. They are there for a reason. Too bad all employers do not follow these laws.

Back