big climber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby Forrest

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I have to ask. At 6' 250 is climbing something I shouldn't be thinking about? Just as a side hobby. My wife's family lives in the mountains in south carolina, And there's some tall trees around there to play on. ThankS.

You will spend a lot of dough on climbing equipment. It ain't cheap, and you probably want to buy it new. I invested probably close to $1500 or so to get all my gear, mebbe more. Nice when you get it all together, and it is GREAT exercise. You will feel it after your first few times. Really opens up your options for doing tree work, though. I got the SRT setup and the gaffs all at once, so it was a big cash outlay. Both are a lot of work and you will build strength and endurance quickly if you stay with it. You can probably get into a gaff setup for around $500, but it is nice and safer to climb witha a rope, as a backup to the gaffs, anyway. Good luck. Lots of info around - spend some time surfing and you can learn a lot.

There is a lot of different gear and different styles. I would suggest reading more forum posts and asking a ton of questions. Then try and find someone close to you, to go climbing with if possible. The tree climber's companion is a great book to have and is cheap. Double Rope Technique is an easy way to start. You just need a rope, a saddle and some carabiners. I should warn you, body thrust is hell for a big man.

I started climbing three years ago at age 43 weighing 255 lb at five foot ten tall....I liked it so much, it provided inspiration for me to lose 25 more lb.

I'm 6'4" weighing in at 230 or so and i'm all about it, noobie to climbing but definitely looking into getting the combo setup at around 1200 bucks tho. High need for climbers in my area (that are sober and safe) to say the least..

DO IT! Only have one chance at life, do what you wanna do.

~Moose

6'4 and 215. Been climbing for a bit now, hired a guy that is pretty slick and been climbing for a long time. I have flown a single engine plane, rode a hand full of big bikes, drove fast cars, big trucks little trucks, jumped out of a plane, and honestly think tree climbing and rigging and that goes into removing a hazardous tree is the most exciting thing I have ever taken on. I havent looked back yet and will continue to buy climbing gear to make my job and hobby safer and more enjoyable. Honestly plenty of companies sell starter kits that will get you started. I would recommend buying a kit that has the tree climbers companion. Its an excellent read and full of great information.

Do it! Entry level Wespur Rope only kit with some switch-outs and you'll be a happy camper! In the trees

She can't be mad if you make money with your hobby. The only hobbies that piss my old lady off are the ones that drain the bank account. :D

You've gotta get whip pin' if you're gettin' the RRunner, Buddy! [emoji28]

Dave6390 in WI

Latest posts

Back