Got some gear, gonna climb...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This is gonna be fun. I got me a nice entry level combo kit from WesSpur (the glass is a touch of class btw). I have a dozen small to medium pines in my wood cut to practice on. And I got a buddy to go out and help me figure this out.
Oh, and take pictures!!!! In the reading of the various pages of instructions etc I found it mentioned that it is for use by "properly trained professionals only"... so after I learn "the ropes" so to speak would that make me.... potty trained.

Going to find a tree with a substantial limb to get the line over, and setup the prussic on that. if I end up dangling then Curtis can lower me back down... the general idea is to NOT end up dangling...

Congrats on trying to learn a new skill. It is a bit intimidating but definitely doable. I would have liked to had a local mentor but there is a lot of info/tips online. I would nail down the climbing aspect before cutting any wood.

As Jeff said, don't tie into the lowest limb. If you tie in higher you can then stand on the lowest limb.

When you get the rope over the limb, have it come around the trunk, so a portion of your weight is pulling against the trunk and not just the limb (which may have a sketchy connection as you don't know what to look for yet). So what you want is the rope going around the trunk and over the limb.

I will be climbing soon and purchased everything but my saddle and hardhat. I did this to keep myself out of the trees until i have my basics setup, learn my knots, check out which trees i wanna practice on first and setup and take down multiple climbing systems prior to leaving the ground... Best of luck to ya!! I'll be joinin ya soon throwin feces in the trees!!

Oh yeah... A tip..

www.climbingarborist.com is fantastic if you want a bunch of knowledge all in one place. probably already heard of it, but i love the site

I made it a few feet.... pics:
P1010373.JPG P1010365.JPG P1010364.JPG
Okay. A bunch of observations from todays efforts.
The gaffs stick very, very well. In fact they are difficult to get pulled out... not impossible, but it helps knowing that they are REALLY in there. The flip line is fun, and nipping little branches is fun to get them outta the way. We tried dangling the little echo on the tail of the flip line. Didn't work very well cause if I positioned towards the tree... the line tightened... irritating.

There was "nothing" up this little stick that I would have tied a climb line to and trusted... Is the little micro pulley for the flip line below the cam locking thing...???

Just a newbie, and having some fun!

Tomorrow, if we aren't too busy, I'll climb the entire tree, and take it apart!

Attachments

• P1010369.JPG
    P1010369.JPG
    366 KB · Views: 12
Get a chainsaw lanyard to hang your saw from. Flip line might have ten feet of slack. Keep that saw close by. Good luck. Have fun and be safe. And I have learned that you don't have to drive your spurs into pines. Just your weight is plenty to get a good bite.

I can not wait to see the pic's!!!
Just do not tie in to the lowest limb!
Jeff :p
You laugh. but before i had someone to show me i did! lol i would throw my buck strap around the limb i was tied into then undo my climb line and try to throw it around a higher limb! doh!

looking good! my second climb was a smaller pine like the one your climbing in. Keep it up you wont wanna put it down!

You don't need to stab your gaffs in just step and let your weigh drive the gaffs in. Unless you have to get in an awkward position and want to have sure its not gonna kick out you don't need to stab them in.

That's a painful way to learn how to climb with the old 4D torture harness and those little gaff pads.

I strongly concur with the need for a second flipline. A 2 in 1 lanyard is useful...

Always tie in twice when making a cut.

Anyway, good on you for learning how to climb. I would stick to a handsaw for a while though.

I topped that thing out yesterday. Observations and replies to above comments (many thanks guys).
This is gonna be fun. Second the notion for a second flip line, or the above mentioned 2 in 1 lanyard. This particular tree didn't have anything in the way of substantial limbs that I would really have trusted with my full weight, so the vertical safety line really wasn't practical. I could have tied into the tree behind me, I suppose. but it is a "leave tree" not destined to be cut.
P1010378.JPG
The saddle is fine, I don't plan on spending many hours in a tree. I will learn how, and will climb one now and then just to remain in practice. What I am preparing myself for is the possibility that someone up here will ask me if I can remove a tree... This talent extends the possibilities.
The spurs are fine, and without a doubt better than that ancient set hanging on the wall. Part of the problem of them sticking pretty well is that I am 200#, Atleast I know that they are stuck!! P1010392.JPG
The little echo is a cranky little monster, but I felt it was justified to carry it up with me. Yes, I know I should be tied in twice when starting a saw up there.
One thing we all know, is that climbing isn't safe even if you do everything right. I was careful as to where the saw was...
Hard hat I have, and will put it on... maybe just my bump cap be enough??
I discovered that I like to leave the branches out a couple inches. Still easy enough to flip past and gives me a few nice hand holds.P1010406.JPG
Getting down is just about as much work as getting up there in the first place! Upon return to terra firma I felt like I had been riding a horse....

There are a few more trees up there that I will practice on. The idea is to get enough experience that if/when I am asked if I can remove a tree somewhere it will provide options on how to do it rather than just say "no". I have thought this out well enough to understand that in the concept of removing a tree for a customer we are "performers" or "actors". Removing the tree simply is the stage. It is the production that they are really paying for. The want to see the gear, they want to see the ropes, they want to see you clinging to a tree. Because they know that they don't belong higher than a 6ft ladder let alone a 50' tree!!!

Attachments

• P1010378.JPG
    P1010378.JPG
    571.7 KB · Views: 5
  • P1010390.JPG
    P1010390.JPG
    500.9 KB · Views: 4
  • P1010402.JPG
    P1010402.JPG
    572.5 KB · Views: 4
So despite the warnings, you are using a chainsaw with just a single lanyard keeping you in the tree? Stay safe. I am sure most people that have fallen had similar thoughts as you.

Your kit came with a climbing rope and hitch cord, why not practice with it, even if the limb is smaller, its better than nothing and you can always just use it as a long lanyard.

I know you are practicing climbing but if these trees need to come down why not just fell them at ground level?

That tree in the last photo could have easily been tied into to rapel down instead of having to spike all the way back down if your not taking it down in pieces. Having a climb line is a good idea even if you aren't really using it. You can always use it to haul up something to you. Tying in twice is a very good idea and may keep you from killing yourself one day. Tree climbing, expect the unexpected. If you do this enough something will happen that you didn't foresee. Buckingham makes tear away saw lanyards that will break on purpose if you get the saw stuck in a large piece you are dropping.

Well, it would seem as if everyone else has pointed out whats wrong with these pictures. While I agree with what has been said and not saying that you shouldnt heed the awesome advice that has been posted, because they are just trying to keep you alive, I will say it takes nutz to gaffe up and climb a tree saw in tow. You have my respect, PLEASE KEEP CLIMBING, learning, and always work safely.

Back