Rigging equipment suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seedling345

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok guys I got a side job booked for 2 weeks from now it's a giant red pine and it's over a garage with a lot of my good friends pretty toys and about 70,000 in tools I am going to buy a rigging sling and a maybe a pully I have only done natural crotch rigging and don't know what to buy I need a basic rigging setup I was thing maybe the 12 foot 3/4" tenex sling but I don't know any help is appreciated I'm working with 200 says the wife I've know how to tie the slings n what not I just need some feed back on what works best for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So,,,,,,,,,how did it go?
Was it everything you hoped it would be?

It went well took me a little long than I had hoped but all in all it went great no injuries or damage and I got a couple new whoopie slings and it's cool cause my buddy finally shut up about thinkin ide smash his garage. Any one have a friend that doesn't trust your work but is to cheap to call in a tree service? Lol that's my buddy but alls well thanks guys

It went well took me a little long than I had hoped but all in all it went great no injuries or damage and I got a couple new whoopie slings and it's cool cause my buddy finally shut up about thinkin ide smash his garage. Any one have a friend that doesn't trust your work but is to cheap to call in a tree service? Lol that's my buddy but alls well thanks guys

Did you get an arborist block or just a pully? Remember catchin big wood use a block as the cheek plates are designed for it where pulleys are more suited for static loads. By that I mean they won't cut your rope when they slam into the spar.

Me too, Raj.
That little ISC block is getting used a lot.
Definitely one of the best smaller $$$ equipment purchases I've invested in, in a long time.

I wish I could use mine more, I climb may be once or twice a week, and often not with any sort of trained ground crew.

Did you get an arborist block or just a pully? Remember catchin big wood use a block as the cheek plates are designed for it where pulleys are more suited for static loads. By that I mean they won't cut your rope when they slam into the spar.
I got a Shizll spider plate a basic cmi rigging pullie and a couple of whoopies nothin flashy but it works I'm just now really starting to like the spider plate it makes balancing a limb so much easier when it's getting roped it's awesome

When I was researching blocks I came across the rigging rings. They were cheap and I liked the idea of another point of friction vs frictionless arborist block. It was also lighter and easier to deploy in the tree. While arborist blocks have their place, we don't do a lot of lifting. After it's on the ground we cut it into manageable chunks. Altho there is a big oak removal I'm not sure the rings will handle and may buy a heavy block soon anyways...lol we also run a 5/8 husky line and a 1/2 for smaller stuff.

When I was researching blocks I came across the rigging rings. They were cheap and I liked the idea of another point of friction vs frictionless arborist block. It was also lighter and easier to deploy in the tree. While arborist blocks have their place, we don't do a lot of lifting. After it's on the ground we cut it into manageable chunks. Altho there is a big oak removal I'm not sure the rings will handle and may buy a heavy block soon anyways...lol we also run a 5/8 husky line and a 1/2 for smaller stuff.
I have the steel arborist block I use it in point below rigging where the load drops. In that scenario I would not use a pulley, however; a rigging ring with with a sling and 3 strand bull line I can't see a problem there. Remember 3 strand ropes are better suited in friction and when I started we just butt tied everything. I still like using natural rigging until big loads happen just sayin!

I do all natural crotch rigging my sling and pullie are just for redirects but I've had a few big jobs that I got to use my spider plate I'm so glad I bought that thing no more guessing I keep that plate connected to my rigging line and use my two slings to distribute the weight evenly I don't know that it matters all that much and I'm probably using the plate the wrong way but I like what I've got and it works every time it's a winner in my book btw I'll be eligible to take my arborist cert next fall any of you no what kind of questions are on there I want to study from now to then and I'm about half way through opening my tree service I got my insurance through isurion (may have spelled it wrong) and I'm waiting back from my local agent to see if the name I picked is taken here in Michigan ( really hope not I like it) then my wife can get 20 grand in grants for being a female business owner (50% that is) and then just need a small business loan it's all going really smooth the grants will be the hardest part I think I might even write them off and try for a bigger loan if it's to much of a hassle

Maybe I should just start a thread about the arborist cert

Maybe I should just start a thread about the arborist cert

There is a gazillion threads lol I have been climbing 30years studying several years but I won't test until I feel I'm an arborist:surprised3:

Explain peculation, respiration, evapotranspiration,permanent wilting point,transpirational pull,field capacity,macropore,micropore,mychorizae,photon,chloroplast,chlorophyll,photosynthesis,node ,internode,terminal bud,serrate,whorled and so much more :cheers:

Back