The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of bacon, here's the best to buy. Product of Canada, but why do they call it "Presidents Choice?"
Does Obama have his fingers in our bacon??image.jpg

A little bit of trivia about bacon. During the Klondike gold rush in Dawson, the steam wheelers came in with miners, Chechako's , sporting women ,woodcutters,cons, gamblers, booze and groceries and just about anything else you had the gold to buy. Bacon was stacked up like cordwood on the shore of the Yukon river. The North West Mounted Police kept strict order, so there was only petty crime with very few murders.

Gypo, you mean you don't eat Canadian bacon?

7.2-Canadian-Bacon1.jpg
Ron

I could go for some bacon stacked up like cordwood.

I was in Skagway and Dyea when I was a kid. I saw the chilkoot trail and walked a little of the dead horse trail. Either way woulda sucked. The weight in food and supplies they had to bring in by law had them making several hikes up and back.

Moved the skidder yesterday, new sight has a bit of an up hill driveway, enough so the Dumper truck started spinning its tires a bit. But we're far enough in to be able to unload the skidder and get on with the day. The war Dept hops out and chocks the rear wheels, and I have her switch places with me and hold the brakes, since the trucks park brakes is really just for show, and only works on the rear axle anyway I figure this should work out OK...

Well I get the binders off and fire up the Missus, toss her in reverse and let the clutch out...

The whole gods damned works slips down hill a bit.. like a foot or so. But is stops so I think **** it she'll hold, look in the mirror to see how the wifey is handling this... she's clearly not, so I try again.

This time every thing just keeps on sliding down hill I stopped the skidder at first but that didn't do any good, so quick like a bunny I figure if I can get the skidder backed far enough to tilt the trailer maybe just maybe we won't slide off into the main road and get T-boned... It worked with about 3 feet to spare. Probably one of the dumbest things I've pulled off in quite some time.

Think maybe I'll invest in a few more chocks, and chock the trailer and the truck next time.

Heading to the Sierras tomorrow so you probably won't hear from me for a few days. I'm curious to see if we will have bear problems again this year. I hope not since there is only a little CO2 for the paint ball gun. The crummy needs some front end work but that will have to wait now. The road in is 2 1/2 miles of rocks and ruts. Someone else will be doing all the cooking too. Man, I love that part.

Gotta remember to stop and buy slugs for the shotgun. I hope I can find so lead slugs cause I'm guessing the lead free slugs are $25.00 a box of five or more. Maybe double that.

I was working near Anatone, WA, on the banks of the Snake. We were digging up rotted cottonwood hot spots, so after the first day I swapped to a "clean" shirt. I now have two armfuls of poison oak blisters. I'm pretty sure I didn't see any there, and it's all in spots that should have been covered by my sleeves. I washed all my nomex in degreaser, three trips through the washer each.
I hate Poison Oak. Stuck to the sheets last night.

I was working near Anatone, WA, on the banks of the Snake. We were digging up rotted cottonwood hot spots, so after the first day I swapped to a "clean" shirt. I now have two armfuls of poison oak blisters. I'm pretty sure I didn't see any there, and it's all in spots that should have been covered by my sleeves. I washed all my nomex in degreaser, three trips through the washer each.
I hate Poison Oak. Stuck to the sheets last night.
I'm fortunate to be almost immune to PO but my wife isn't as lucky. She swears by this: slather on Tecnu, then wrap the affected extremity (this method would be sketchy if the PO is on your head) with Saran wrap to keep the Tecnu on your skin instead of on the sheets. I'd say it's worth a shot.

Latest posts

Back